Gumbo? [General]

2010 Sep 29
Has anyone tried to make real, good Louisiana-style gumbo? What would you do again, what wouldn't you? We just made our first attempt at the real deal. Here's our attempt, fully chronicled:

New posting: Road Trip memories - Recreating Authentic Seafood Gumbo tinyurl.com/recreatinggumbo

Rob at Happy Mouth

2010 Sep 29
Gumbo is a thing of beauty - however if you have sub-par ingredients it goes to hell really quickly (good thing you omitted the crab). Achieving the right roux colour/consistency is key, most people are afraid to go darker, that it's going to taste scorched or what have you, but it's absolutely necessary to get the right taste. Yours looks wonderful, I want some! Also, I wanted to note that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog while touring around the US for BBQ, etc. It brought up a lot of memories of my own road-trip I did, but headed west. Next time I'll head towards the Atlantic. Cheers!
NB: fresh okra is sometimes available at Produce Depot and a variety of Indian grocers like Vaishali's (near Bayshore).

2010 Sep 30
I think I've seen okra at Acorn Creek Farm. It may be worth a call to get it that fresh.

That gumbo looks delish. I also enjoyed your blog about the trip - drooled my way through the pictures and descriptions!

2010 Sep 30
Finally had time to read the recipe you used. It's pretty good. Making your own stock from the shells and heads of the shrimp makes a huge difference and is probably the most time consuming part of the recipe.

I have not made a gumbo in years but winter is coming and you have inspired me to start making them again.