Foodie Group? [General]

2010 Sep 29
Hey,
I am new to town and am thinking of putting together a foodie group - to do food related stuff - like cook, potlucks, food docs, food trivia board games, wine and cheese (whiskey and chocolate) tastings, food book clubs, try new restaurants and the like.
Anyone interested?
I was thinking 1 or 2 Sundays a month.

2010 Sep 29
The ones that have been most successful in the past, as a formal group, have been wine tastings with My Mom's a Foodie. I like the idea of a food book club, but to be honest, I can't commit to frequent (biweekly) meetings. A monthly or bimonthly book club might be a good idea, especially if it was in conjunction with wine, food and good discussion :)

2010 Sep 29
I'd be interested in joining something like that.

2010 Sep 29
I'm a bit of an amateur foodie, but I'm up for making new friends and talking about food. As long as it was downtown/close to downtown, I'd be definitely into it!

2010 Sep 29
I am also interested and also part of the downtown bubble, I get extremely apprehensive anywhere west of Preston, East of King Edward and South of the Highway.

2010 Sep 29
Well I live outside that area so I won't be able to host. But attending something downtown is no problem.

2010 Sep 29
I could be talked into it, especially if it is downtown - I am in Sandy Hill and I have a large enough place to host.

My preference would be Friday or Saturday evenings as preparing kids for school and other chores kills my Sunday evenings.

2010 Sep 30
I would also be interested. Trying new restaurants, wine and cheese pairings and a cookbook club sound like fun! I also live downtown and would be happy to join along anything that is centrally located. Maybe meeting up once a month would be good.

2010 Sep 30
We're a household of two foodies who love to cook and are located downtown. We have a "Big Green Egg", so BBQing is an option and our open (to the dining area) kitchen is functional not fancy but well stocked. Don't mind hosting and our dinner table seats six. It is a few minutes walk to the Byward Market so it is a quick trip to get ingredients and we could share the expense and roll up our sleeves and cook together.

2010 Sep 30
'lil legume, you may to check ou the upcoming foodies potluck

Forum - Ottawa Foodies Potluck 2010

It will be my first time meeting ottawafoodies members as well.

bon appetit!

2010 Sep 30
I'd be interested and could do once a month. I live close to downtown, but have a tiny place.

2010 Oct 3
Just a clarification question - those wishing to meet downtown... I assume you mean for the regular meetings (ie movie/game nights) and not for restaurants and the like. Everyone is willing to travel outside of downtown to try new restaurants, yes?
Also, being new here - what's the boundaries of 'downtown'?

Glad to see there is interest in this idea!

2010 Oct 3
'Lil Legume I would prefer to meet downtown for any of the activities mentioned but I am willing to go anywhere on a bus route since I don't drive.

I would consider downtown as: Wellington to the North and Queensway to the south; Bronson to the west and the Rideau canal to the east.

2010 Oct 4
Meetings dowtown and restaurants outside is good with me. I can fit 4 people in my vehicle so I could provide transport for anyone that doesn't drive.

Pasta Lover's description of downtown sounds correct to me. I think maybe some people inculde the market area as downtown as well?...

2010 Oct 4
chopper My bad the market area is also downtown-;)

2010 Oct 4
so when and where do we start?

2010 Oct 5
Start a facebook group?

2010 Oct 5
Yes, foodie-Facebook integration. I'm lovin' it.
Can we also start by getting a pumpkin beer at Clocktower? Lil Legume and I were going to do this on the weekend, but I had to cancel. Just an idea.

2010 Oct 5
ottawafoodies already has a facebook group - would we use that one or start another one for meetups and the like? Just a thought...

Pumpkin beer? Sounds like something I must try! I'm up for it if anyone else wants to go...

2010 Oct 5
I've had the pumpkin beer, it's nice. Also, Clocktower has a pumpkin themed menu right now and most of what's been sampled has been a hit amongst my friends and myself.

2010 Oct 5
wow pumpkin beer!!! It's getting cold out, I'd love a pumkin beer and that awesome clocktower meatloaf!

I'll make a Facebook group called Ottawa Foodie Group. If anyone has beat me to it, let me know...

2010 Oct 5
I have a lovely vision of a large table at Clocktower, almost last-supper-esque, with attendees including a giant mushroom, an index finger covered with post-it drawings, lady and the tramp, some anonymous cartoon chefs and a chihuahua standing on cheeseburgers.

2010 Oct 5
yessi that sounds like the makings of an ottawafoodies meetup to me!-;) I hope we can organize this: beer + ottawafoodies = fun!

2010 Oct 5
yessi that sounds like the makings of an ottawafoodies meetup to me!-;) I hope we can organize this: beer + ottawafoodies = fun!

2010 Oct 5
ok facebook group create, if it is needed or not?... Called 'Ottawa Foodie Group'. couldn't upload a pic with my phone :o(

2010 Oct 5
I was at the Clocktower last weekend, didn't get to try the pumkin beer (I like my Wisharts and Bytown brown). But Chopper is right, that meatloaf is amazing...

2010 Oct 5
This page already exists:
www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=2255253500

2010 Oct 5
I am not a meet-up kind of person. Sorry.

But chimed in here just to +1 the Pumpkin Beer. It is awesome. If you haven't had it, go get some.

2010 Oct 6
I am a meet-up kind of person! Let's make this happen!

2010 Oct 6
I'd like to join in, but am fairly hopeless at organizing anything! I've always found the food at Clocktower to be pretty mediocre, but I'm up for a pumpkin beer (and I've never had the meatloaf).

2010 Oct 7
I'd bring a giant mushroom or two..but they have been eaten already (see pic for 7"1/2 giant mushroom...)

prettytastyreviews.blogspot.com

I'd be interested in going sometime to the Clocktower.
Pumpkin beer sounds interesting.
I'm not a big beer drinker,but this does sound good!

2010 Oct 7
Okay, guys! This sounds great! Pumpkin beer doesn't last that long (last year they were sold out by the 15th. - but clocktower has good beer so I say we go anyways!
I assume that this weekend is bad for everyone (being thanksgiving and all). So how about next weekend?
Saturday the 15th around 7pm at the Glebe location?

2010 Oct 7
Sounds good to me. One minor quibble though - the 15th is a Friday-;)

2010 Oct 7
Friday the 15th is good with me. I think I may go before on my own cause I'm too curious about that beer!

2010 Oct 7
sounds like fun! I have not been on here for a while so it would be nice to catch up with some of you! So is it the 15th or 16th at 7pm at the clocktower?
Also, there has been talk of starting the wine nights again so glad to see there would be some interest it I did! Live in Hintonburg now so hopefully it will be more accessible than my last location.

2010 Oct 8
I can probably make it on Friday or Saturday. If we do it on Saturday, we should do it in the afternoon, is my vote.
I'll be able to confirm once I'm done with this crazy weekend filled with weddings and turkey.

2010 Oct 12
Can we do it Friday the 15th? I can't do Saturday :(

2010 Oct 12
Finally tried that pumpkin ale, super tasty :-) and Friday or Saturday is fine with me. Friday anytime after 6 and saturday anytime.

2010 Oct 13
Friday at 7? Is that's what was decided?

2010 Oct 13
I originally meant Sat --- but Friday sounds cool!
Can I have people who are a postive, for sure yes - PM me. In case I need to reserve a table or something!

So, Friday 15th, 7pm. Clocktower, Glebe?

2010 Oct 13
I'm guessing the Glebe one is just south of the highway, right? At Isabella?

2010 Oct 13
Yes that's the place. Across the street from The Works.

2010 Oct 14
Ah, it's my Dad's birthday on Friday, so I likely won't be able to make it. I'm a forgetful daughter. Maybe I can get a pint in early if anyone's willing to show up before that.

2010 Oct 14
yessi I might be able to get there by 6:00 - is that convenient?...

2010 Oct 14
I'll let you know tomorrow!

2010 Oct 15
I am up for meet-ups but I as to regularity we will have to see. I have my kids every other weekend (Next 2 weekends this time) so i can't come this Friday. Did you guys make a Facebook group yet? I saw someone list an old one.

This is also my first post. Nice to meet you all :D

2010 Oct 15
Hey,
Thanks for reminding me. Just made a facebook group called: Foodies in Ottawa.

2010 Oct 15
'Lil Legume, your group doesn't yet show up in my facebook search. Will it be somehow different from the existing Ottawa Foodies fb group? ref: www.facebook.com

The Ottawa Foodies group isn't very busy, but it's there as an alternate forum for communication. I find facebook's group integration (or lack thereof) makes it easy to ignore your groups for long periods of time. :S

2010 Oct 15
Hopefully you didn't restrict it to a network...

2010 Oct 15
That's actually not even an option.
But I don't know what I did - I can't find it from my husband's facebook.

I made a new one - because this idea is (hopefully) going to be bigger than just this one website.

2010 Oct 15
and what is it called? I didn't find anything under the name you used before.

2010 Oct 17
I was there on Friday the 15th! I had no idea there was a meetup though because I'm bad at following the forums. AW!

Also, mmmm pumpkin spice beer.

2010 Oct 18
How did it go guys?

2010 Oct 18
Not that many ppl came out - but I think it was fun. Pumpkin beer is yummy.
On a side note, Clocktower at 7pm on a Friday is super busy!

2010 Oct 18
Clocktower is ALWAYS busy! Sorry I didn't show, I've been out of town!

2010 Oct 27
We could try this again somewhere else if anyone is interested...

2010 Oct 29
I was thinking so to! Maybe Wellington Gastropub? Cuz I still haven't made it out there!
Any specific times/dates that work?

2010 Oct 29
Downtown would be good . . . I work in the Byward Market.

2010 Nov 1
I'd love to join along to the next meetup and the Gastropub has been on my wishlist for awhile. Anytime after November 7th is good for me.

2010 Nov 4
You will need reservations at Wellington Gastropub--if a large group more than a couple of days ahead. But worth it!