dukkah - how to use? [General]

2010 Sep 25
i received a container of dukkah from the salty don. i have never heard of this before. can anyone tell me how they use it? i've checked the salty don website, but they don't seem to list this blend.

2010 Sep 25
Yum - dip a piece of nice crusty bread (or perhaps more traditional, a thick flatbread?), in a bowl of good olive oil and then in a bowl of dukkah and enjoy. Yum.

2010 Sep 25
Ah! the Salty don :)
He is at the Farmer's market most weeks...

I was told Dukkah was an Engiptian seasoning,I think.
And that you dip some bread in oil and then in some of the dip and then eat that.

If it is anything like the middle eastern Zaatar seasoning of Sumac? "green herbs" of something and sesame I usually buy- I buy this on a thicker flatbread and it has tons of the seasoning and you can eat that as a snack or with a yogurt dip.

I make up a lot of my own recipies, and maybe some Dukkah in butter and then used istead of garlic bread?
-a yogurt dip?

A thick flatbread brushed with oil and then sprinkled with a lot of the seasoning would be more traditional.
I usually just make up my own recipies.

I did not know he sold Dukkah?
Is it smoked Dukkah?
Have always wanted to try that and always forget to look for it.

2010 Sep 26
thanks! it sounds like bread dipped in oil and dukkah is the way to go.

i found don's email on his website and sent him a note late last night and he got back to me right away. he suggested that how it is enjoyed in the Middle East is with bread cubes dipped in olive oil and then in the Dukkah, also he puts it in salads as a bit of crunch, or even sprinkled on roasted vegetables.

prettytasty: here are the ingredients - pistachios, almonds, sesame seeds, toasted cumin, fennel, coriander seeds and salt & pepper.

i'll report back after i have tried it.

as i said, i received it as a gift, but it was bought at the farmer's market, so he must have it around now.

2010 Sep 26
interesting variation on the dukkah recipe the don is using, hff - I've never seen one made with any nut except hazelnuts.
It's easy to make but involves toasting all the seeds, nuts and whole spices for maximum flavour (at least I have toasted them, maybe some recipes don't call for it). You might want to try coating some meat, eg chicken, lamb, with some dukkah, hff, see if you like that. Dukkah is very flavourful! (as are za'atar and plain old sumac)
I've never seen dukkah in Ottawa before.

2010 Sep 28
Coating meat or vegetables sounds like a good idea!
I will try that soon....

I just bought a big bag a Zaataar- Cedars and Co on bank st is selling some quite cheaply.
I paid $8.95 a kg..and they have the seasoning already packaged in small bulk bags.
-so the cost of mine was around $1.50 and is quite a lot!

2010 Sep 28
zaatar is just ground up thyme, usually mixed with some sesame seeds.

2010 Sep 29
It's really good on fish, btw.