New 'Casper & Gambini's' on Somerset near Bank [Food/Vendor]

2007 Apr 18
There's some "coming soon" signage. On the south side of Somerset, near the Centretown Pub, across from the Full House resto...

God-awful web site, not much useful info:

www.casperandgambinis.com/

"...gourmet meals and specialty coffees, with emphasis on health and fresh ingredients."

From www.waa7a.com

"Casper & Gambini’s tag line promotes its food as traditional. The taste may be traditional, but every other part of the operation screams innovation.
Casper & Gambini’s will surprise most people in many different ways. The name and image would suggest that it was an American franchise; in reality, it is Lebanese. Well-known for their sandwiches, one would think they have a limited menu. In fact, the menu is wonderfully varied, with a full breakfast range, in addition to salads, pastas, tortillas, hot meals, and of course, sandwiches. Famous for their home delivery service, one would not generally expect much from the premises; in reality, the restaurant is a prime example of classic contemporary interior design. The menu is also surprisingly progressive in that it includes a large variety of low calorie, low fat meals. Add great service to the mix, and one ends up with a great café concept."

Hrm. I smell "overpriced but not overall awful." Looks to be a tad over-hyped.

2007 Apr 18
I think it's pretty neat that Ottawa is getting these international franchises. Nandos Chicken (headquartered in South Africa) offers some pretty darn good food for a cafeteria style restaurant.

The Casper & Gambini's website implies that all the current locations are in the Middle East. I'll be curious to check this place out!

2007 Jun 21
There is also a sign on Murray street just down from my work (towards Domus). Not sure when it's opening.

2007 Aug 19
So it turns out that this "Casper and Gambini Coffee" is NOT the Middle-East based "Casper & Gambini's" restaurant chain. Probably a good thing, because that chain didn't sound very good.

2007 Aug 19
I am amused by how much Lorem Ipsum remains on their website. ;)

Edited to add: You know, I'm wondering if the one here and the chain from the middle east are linked after all. Both have a similar concept (Cafe serving fresh food). Both serve similar menus (Appetizers, sandwiches, coffees, pastries, etc). And of course there's the link in the name.

My guess is that the local Casper & Gambini is actually linked to the Middle Eastern chain, or that someone local took the name hoping that the local Middle Eastern population would go to it thinking it was the same one as they have back home. ;)

2007 Aug 19
Yes, I'd love to hear more about the frozen coffee products. The titles sound appealing but of course the descriptions are all Lorem Ipsum.

REF: Casper and Gambini