Newbie & Looking For [General]

2010 Sep 21
I am new to this board. Found it this place browsing the internet looking for a shop in Ottawa that might sell some items I am looking for.

I am looking to make some candy for a friends upcoming birthday and the recipe says that I should use a candy thermometer. Are all thermometers(as in meat, oven, etc) the same or is there something special about the ones for candy? Anyone know of a place to get one? Are they usually expensive?

As well I am looking for flavoring oils for the candy. Is there a place around Ottawa that would sell those as well?

Tanks!

2010 Sep 21
The benefit that I have found of a candy thermometer over a meat one is that it has a clip that allows you to put it into your double boiler or pot, without worrying about holding your hand over the steaming bath of water.

That said, I have a candy thermometer and I find that it works just as well as the meat one that I've used for the past two years for meringue buttercream.

If you're looking for one, most kitchen stores have them, but especially Kitchenalia.

Candy flavouring and molds - bulk barn and Michael's

2010 Sep 21
Candy thermometers are typically the same as deep frying thermometers, but are different from meat and oven thermometers. A candy thermometer will have things like "soft ball, hard ball, soft crack, hard crack" written on it (I know... it sounds a bit like major league baseball substance abuse). Meat thermometers typically have a lower temperature range than the other kinds.

Personally, I use an infrared temperature gun ($30 on sale at Canadian Tire, normally $99) for checking the temperature of sugar and oil. Instant readings and it doesn't interfere with what's in the pan.

2010 Sep 21
Thanks very much for the idea's, I'll go and take a look tomorrow!

2010 Sep 21
I know that you can buy flavouring oils at Bulk Barn and I think in the cake decorating section of Michael's.