Shark Fin Soup [General]

2007 Apr 17
I moved Steve's comment from Ging Sing Ging Sing to the forums because it's more appropriate here.

Steve wrote:
"I just looked their online menu and noted they serve Shark Fin Soup. I only hope that no one who uses this site ever orders it and we should consider boycotting any restaurant that serves it.

No I'm not a PETA member, but with the number of sharks declining in part because of the demand for Shark fin, I think it needs to be said. I hope you all agree."

2007 Apr 17
To be fair, Steve, most decent Chinese restaurants serve Shark Fin Soup. It plays an important role in Chinese culture. I like good food too much to boycott all restaurants that serve it!

I've tried Shark Fin Soup (part of a New Years banquet at Chu Shing) and I found it to to be underwhelming to my taste (and overpriced).

It's true that some shark fin harvesting practices are nasty, but the same goes for other culinary meat sources. For a balanced view of the shark fin controversy, check out Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org

2007 Apr 17
To be even more fair, humans are devastating this planet in a very serious and severe manner - especially for our food supply. I have read that 90% of the fish populations of the oceans of the world are GONE. NINETY PERCENT!

Just about everything we do - especially in our highly consumer culture - leads to the death of millions of individual creatures and the extinction of species.

If you bought something today, you probably killed something to get it. Whether you want to admit it or not.

2008 Feb 9
Well, to be fair we should also boycott any restaurant serving meat. Meat production produces more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector! A vegetarian driving a hummer produces less greenhouse gas emissions than a meat eater driving a prius.

So no, I wouldn't boycott a restaurant that serves shark fin soup. But I wouldn't order shark fin soup either. I did try it once as a kid in Trinidad. Sharks were caught fresh and sold in the local fish markets and the fins were discarded. My dad asked if he could have them. After more than a day of simmering the meat dissolves and the veins form a kind of noodle. Nothing special to the taste if I remember correctly.

There is a good vegetarian substitute for it: Shark Fin Melon !

See here: eatzybitzy.blogspot.com

It's a pumpkin sized squash with a hard outer rind. It can be kept in a cool basement for years without spoiling. You saw it open and cook the inner flesh which is kind of like spaghetti squash. Apparently eating this melon regularly can reverse Type 1 diabetes. I got some seeds and will try to grow some in my garden. Hope the summer is long enough for me to get melons in the fall!

2008 Apr 14
Stop selling/eating shark fin soup and sleep better at night.

You're killing one of the most beautiful and important species of the marine life in order to make yourself believe that you serve/eat a fancy dish.

Shark population has decreased 90% in the past 50 years. That means in 20 years or so, there will be no sharks to save.

Causing extinction in such a careless and ignorant way is an unforgivable crime, ending the existence of a whole species is a huge responsibility we can't and shouldn't face the consequences of.

If you like the money shark fin earns you, stop illegal hunting, try and keep the legal hunting at a minimum level and save your livestock.

DON'T BECOME ONE OF THOSE OBLIVIOUS, IGNORANT SO-CALLED HUMAN BEINGS BY EATING/SELLING SHARK FIN SOUP.

For more information:

www.savingsharks.com/
www.seashepherd.org/
www.hsus.org

And watch the movie Sharkwater, you'll be shocked to see the scale of the massacre like German civilians did when they saw the concantration camps.

2009 Jul 18
STOP EATING SHARK FIN SOUP.

The manner in which they kill the sharks is disgusting and it is inhuman. The only part of the shark they use is the fin for this shark fin soup.

People are causing extinction for SOUP??? A soup that costs 90$ - It is not even to save the human race from hunger...it is wrong any way you look at it.

WATCH SHARKWATER!

2009 Jul 18
Recently a bunch of shark attack victims went to Washington to lobby for more protection for the creatures that bit them.

latimesblogs.latimes.com