Fresh Bay Leaves [General]

2010 Sep 7
When visiting family in Victoria, BC., we ended up trimming the 15+ year old bay tree Labour Day weekend. It seemed like such a culinary shame to compost all those wonderful smelling leaves. Since we were shipping other items, I thought why not have some of the leaves shipped here as we know how rare it is to find bay leaves that aren't really old and brown and fresh herbs can really enhance one's cooking.

Would you like some?

The leaves are not being sold they are going to be given to people as insentive for making a donation. We're participating in the 2011 Weekend to End Women's Cancers and have opted to do the one-day 32-kilometre walk. This means we have commited to raising $2,500 for a good cause by June of 2011 and that we will also be getting into better shape and training to be able to do the walk.

All donations for Ed & Jody can be made through the 2011 Weekend to End Women's Cancers' website (see links below) and any donation over $10 is elidgeable for a tax receipt. There is a "Personal Note" area on the donation form. Please let us know you would like some Bay Leaves and send us your email address. The box should be here in about a week and pick ups in the Byward Market area can start then.

I do not expect that this insentive will raise the entire amount but every bit helps and will be part of a bunch of different fund raising efforts. It is a cause that is near and dear to my heart and I encourage you to give generously.
Jody: www.endcancer.ca
Ed: www.endcancer.ca
(*If you feel this post is not appropriate for the boards, please let me know and I'll take it down. I was just excited at the prospect of sharing good ingredients with my fellow foodies for a good cause.)

2010 Sep 8
No worries... I consider this to be a highly appropriate post! :-)

And wow, I never knew laurel trees could grow in my hometown! When I saw them in Portugal, I thought they were quite exotic.

2010 Sep 9
This is great. A good cause. Can't wait to get my bay leaves. Thanks for sharing.

2010 Sep 13
Soup season is upon us. Consider taking advantage of this opportunity.

The boxes of bay leaves have arrived! They smell good, are green and are still soft. (Such a switch to the crunchy, brownish green ones from most stores.) Chefs' and Foodies are starting to make arrangements for pick ups...

2010 Oct 14
I've had some good feedback from some friends/chefs in the area. I am down to one box left (of the original two). For those heading to the upcoming potluck and would like some, let me know ahead of time and I'll have some ready for you. Contact me and we'll make arrangements.

2010 Oct 16
your post sounds great. right now we are away but I would like to contact you later if there are any leaves left.
Does anyone know if you can grow bay leaves in pots in the house?

2010 Oct 16
solstice, bay laurel plants do grow indoors - I've had a couple over the years, using the leaves as needed in my cooking. The big problem I have had with them is scale insect, really difficult to get rid of without using insecticide (which I've never used). I can't remember where I got my first plant but my wife found them at Artistic Landscape - check my previous post here: Forum - Curry leaves and bay laurel?post_id=23673#post_23673. I should add that they need lots of light and are a little slow growing but worth the effort.

2010 Oct 17
solstice, I'll set asside a bag for you. You can message me though the Cancer walk site (linked above) or message me through here.

2010 Oct 17
Growing a bay tree is a very rewarding experience - believe it or not, we've had ours for about 30 years! It's almost like a member of the family. Every spring after all danger of frost has passed, we lug it outside to a spot in the backyard where it spends the summer, and in the fall, we lug it back inside for the winter. We keep it pruned to about 7 feet high (we have a sunny spot inside with just enough headroom for it). We originally bought it as a small shrub (maybe one foot high) from Richters Herbs in the Toronto area. In recent years it has bloomed a few times, but the flowers are fairly insignificant, and, surprisingly, not fragrant.

As Andy says, about the only problem with growing bay laurel trees is scale insects. Before we bring ours in for the winter, we do a couple of rounds of spraying with a mixture of water, rubbing alcohol, and insecticidal soap (proportions of 40:8:1 by volume, recipe courtesy of Ed Lawrence of local CBC Radio One fame). If we spot any scale after we bring the tree inside, we squish 'em by hand. Needless to say, bay leaf is one herb we never have to buy!

2011 Sep 14
I still have a bunch of bay leaves left and I am offering them to you for FREE. I am moving don't have the space, there is no way we can use this much and I'd like to know that they are going to good use. They're obviously dry now but still look and smell much fresher than what you would get at the average grocery store. I have packaged them up and are ready for you to pick up (Byward Market area). Message me privately for exact address & directions as well as arranging a time to stop by.

I also have more fresh sage this year than I can possibly use. If you'd like some message me privately to arrange a time to stop by and I'll trim the plants for you to take some.