Sourdough starter [General]

2007 Apr 15
I'm looking for some reliable sourdough starter and I'm hoping one of the Foodies my be willing to share some. I know there are lots of recipes for starter, but they won't necessarily work the first time. I'd prefer a rye-based starter, but would be happy with anything!
Cheers,
Kombu

2007 Apr 15
The wild oat in the glebe sells their starter if you can't find anyone generous enough to give you some.

2007 Apr 15
Thanks, I may give that a try!

2010 Jul 18
3 years later and I just called and they don't make their starter available any more. Does anyone have another source? Thanks!

2010 Jul 20
While my lack of baking this past year caused me to toss the starter - I've found it pretty easy to get it going from scratch. 1 cup water, 1 cup flour (yeast if needed). Let it sit in an open container for a day, remove half, then add another 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 cup flour. Repeat for a while.

It should work with rye flour, but you can always use that starter with rye flour for doing the actual baking.

Good luck.

2010 Jul 20
Coincidentally, a friend sent me email this morning and said she is going to video making a starter, and asked me if I wanted the video for my collection.

So I'll keep you posted :-)

2010 Jul 20
Moulin de Provence sells it or will even give you some if you ask nicely. I had a culture going for a few years, but after months of neglect I can't seem to revive it.

Feb 6
Bumping this up......

Does anyone know of a place that will sell me some sourdough starter? I know I can make my own, but I would prefer to buy some. Thanks!

Feb 6
Check out Nu grocery on Wellington.