Seeking a source for Lump Blue Crab Meat [General]

2010 Aug 22
I live half time in Baltimore, in the Chesapeake Bay area, and blue crab is a staple (along with oysters, of course). I have a bunch of great recipes for crab dips, crab cakes, crab salads, etc etc, but have not found lump blue crab meat in Ottawa anywhere, ever. I tried Lapointes, and they had frozen a few cans of blue crab, but just what we label as "special", which is the stringy small stuff, not the lump back meat. I tried Pelican, and they had claw meat but not the lump back meat. Anyone have any ideas? In the summer months I throw a few pounds in a cooler and bring it up with me, but in the winter when I fly back and forth, it would mean checking a bag, and I'm not about to go there.

I've tried other varieties of crab and it just isn't the same...

Any ideas on where I might look?

2010 Aug 22
it's VERY tough to find good crab meat in Ottawa. The best we've seen in Ottawa is at Peliccan Fisheries on Band Street, near Farm Boy. It comes in transparent containers so you can at least see what you are buying. It's mostly claw meat, but it's the closest we have seen after years of looking.

2010 Aug 22
I also miss crab meat from when I lived in DC...

Best substitute I have found here is to buy fresh Dungeness crabs and pick them myself. Not quite as sweet as blue crab, but the texture is close and you do get some nice big hunks out of it.

2010 Aug 24
I wonder if Whalesbone would be able to get some in if you asked?

www.thewhalesbone.com

Disclaimer: I've never bought crab meat that hasn't been in a can.

2010 Aug 25
Bad typos fixed:
it's VERY tough to find good crab meat in Ottawa. The best we've seen in Ottawa is at Pelican Fisheries on Bank Street, near Farm Boy. It comes in transparent containers so you can at least see what you are buying. It's mostly claw meat, but it's the closest we have seen after years of looking.