Anyone into cracker making? [Recipes]

2010 Aug 21
I am an avid cook and I used to bake a fair amount but have gotten away from making things due to lack of time- I work 12 hr shifts and am a full time university student.

In an attempt to economize, I want to bake some of my regular snack items.

1)Mary's gone Crackers:

Anybody every make anything similar to these? I have a recipe I'm going to try but am just curious if anyone else has info that they could share?

2) Oatcakes, meaning the Walker's/Narin's type that aren't sweet. I have also collected a few recipes but was wondering if anybody has a tried and true recipe for these.

Does anybody make any other type of cracker?

2010 Aug 21
Oooh, I look forward to this thread!

I used to make oatcakes like that a long time ago, but would have to dig around for a recipe.

What about tortilla chips?

Forum - ISO: Tortilla press?

2010 Aug 21
Thank you for reminding me of this...it's very rewarding to make these. I've used this recipe twice - once with black sesame seeds and the other with flax seeds. Really great results.
smittenkitchen.com

2010 Aug 21
AMR- those look similar to the lavosh I used to make with just white flour.
I will try the spelt version because I am trying to stay away from wheat flour.

Zymurgist-As for tortilla chips, I actually own a tortilla press but how well do they turn out baked? I don't deep fry things.

2010 Aug 21
They are fantastic bakes! Check out the video I made a while back

2011 Dec 30
I make crackers semi regularly (just not during the summer re: no AC). I usually use flour from Watson's Mill (www.watsonsmill.com) or various Castor River Farms flours, which I often cut with AP flour. The herbs and spices are usually from my own garden stash or from Market Organics (www.marketorganics.ca) Message me privately if you're still looking for something along these lines.

2012 Jan 1
Alton Brown did a Good Eats on crackers once:

www.foodnetwork.com

I have only ever made oatcakes - very delicious with butter or brie

2012 Jan 1
As with the others, I made crackers quite awhile ago.
Hand rolling out the dough and it didn't roll out thin enough.
It made for some pretty hard crackers.
I've seen some recipes where they use the pasta roller, which would certainly make the dough thin enough.
Bread making is my winter agenda, but I might have to dig out some cracker recipes.
Please keep us posted, with pictures if possible.

2012 Jan 3
Crackers are my holiday treat. I found this recipe in a old home and garden magazine and i love it

Herb and Butter Crackers

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup milk

1 tsp thyme

1 tsp chives

1 tsp dill

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 ground pepper

1 tbsp sugar

2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 375F. In a medium saucepan, heat butter and milk over medium to low heat just until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in sugar, thyme, chives, dill, salt and the pepper. Add flour; stir just until combined (dough will be stiff). Divide dough in half.

On a lightly flour surface flatten one dough portion into a rectangle. Roll into a 14X9 inch rectangle that is slightly less than 1/8 inch thick. Using a fork prick dough all over. Cut dough using cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough.

Bake about 12 minutes or just until crackers are lightly browned and firm to the touch. Transfer crackers to wire racks; cool. Makes 84 crackers.

2012 Jan 3
2 favourite recipes I like for crackers - this Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps (at dinnerwithjulie.com ) that is very similar to a Leslie Stowe rainforest crisp cracker and is really good with a soft ripened cheese like Rondoux Triple Cream or a good brie, and these Alton Brown crackers (from his show's link posted by ChrisB above), very tasty and adaptable - using a pasta roller helps ensures a more even baking across a pan of crackers.

Seedy Crisps
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2008

5 ounces whole-wheat flour
4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
1/3 cup poppy seeds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 to 6-1/2 ounces water

In a medium bowl whisk together both flours, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, and baking powder. Add the oil and stir until combined. Add the water and stir to combine and create a dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead 4 to 5 times. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, cover with a tea towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
For a thin snacking cracker: On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of dough to 1/16-inch and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. If there is room on the sheet pan, repeat with a second piece of dough. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 4 minutes then flip and bake for an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. When cool, break into desired size pieces. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
For a thicker dipping cracker: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough as above but to 1/8-inch thick. Bake for 6 minutes on the first side, then flip and bake another 4 to 6 minutes.
For super even thickness and easy rolling: Roll out using a lightly floured pasta roller. Flatten the dough until it will pass through the first setting and go to the highest number that your pasta roller will allow without tearing the dough (no thinner than #5). Bake according to the thin cracker instructions.
Note: Baking times will vary depending on exact thickness of dough and oven temperature, so watch them closely. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Andy’s notes: Add water until dough sticks together and will knead without cracking (it may be less than 6 oz.). I love them with 2/3 to 3/4 cup white sesame seeds. Sometimes I think they need more salt; sometimes I don’t; never have I thought they needed less. I use a pasta machine, rolling to position #5 (of 6). I have made these with 1 cup spelt and 1 cup kamut replacing the other flours called for (rolled to #4 for a little more thickness and sprinkled with a little extra salt on top the unbaked crackers after trying some and finding that I wanted more). On a Teflon baking sheet liner they take about 3 to 4 minutes on one side then 2 on the other.