Prime Picnic locations [General]

2010 Aug 20
I have a friend taking a lady out on a second date- and he's taking her for on a picnic. He asked me for recommendations, and I gave a few- Britannia Beach, Locks on Prince of Wales/Fallowfield, Meach Lake. Not very creative I'm afraid. Any great ideas/locations that I can suggest to him?

2010 Aug 20
There is a nice little spot on the river at this place

www.rvca.ca

There is (or was always - have not been there in a while) a picnic table right down on the river. You go to the north end of the parking lot and park there, then walk in that direction and there is a foot bridge. Cross the bridge and veer left toward the river and you'll find it.

Right here at the WA Taylor pinpoint

maps.google.ca,-75.634807&spn=0.005306,0.008594&z=17

EDIT: IMO very secluded and romantic - a perfect spot to impress someone! But check to see if there are any special rules with this being a conservation area. i.e. are you allowed to bring a hibachi, if that is desired? I dunno, to be honest. But there should be a phone number at my first link above, to check. It says you are allowed to fish here (some people may find that romantic :-))

2010 Aug 20
Gatineau park has plenty of places, provided it's not considered creepy to go somewhere secluded on a second outing.
If they just want to drive, there's picnic tables at many of the stops along the Gatineau and Champlain Parkways. The MacKenzie King estate has a few nice areas, though I think you have to pay to park there, NCC bastards. Any of the lookouts (Huron, Etienne-Brule or Champlain) are good, though I don't think any of them have picnic tables.
King Mountain is a good area (free parking I think) with a couple picnic tables at the parking lot, though the mountain is the interest, not the parking lot. The trail around the mountain is less than 1 k.m., some uphill stuff, and has some nice views of the Ottawa river valley from granite rock faces on the southwestern face.
The Lauriault trail has some nice views as well, and the Waterfall trail which is connected to it has a nice little area near the waterfall - though there will be practically no water flowing over it this time of year. The Laurault trail parking lot also has picnic tables (I believe free parking).
A little bit more involved: park at Etienne Brule lookout, take trail 3 (should be connected to the parking lot) north to trail 28, keep left at the junction and it should lead to a granite rock face overlooking the eastern portion of Meech lake. There's a wooden bench bolted to the rock, unlikely other people will be there as it's a dead-end trail (about a 3.5 to 4 k.m. round trip over moderate terrain).
If they're up for a longer hike/ bike ride: park at O'Brien parking lot and take trail 36 northwest around the lake. Near the western end of the lake is a side trail that goes down to the lake. There's a sheltered cove there behind an island with a park bench right by the lake. That's about 7 or 8 k.m. return.
Luskville falls has a picnic area at the base of the escarpment. If they're up for an intense 3 k.m. hike they can walk the trail to the fire tower (it increases in elevation by 270 meters over about 1 k.m. but it's well worth it).
Another short hike option: Park at Champlain lookout, take trail 18 (it and trail 1 are at the northern end of the parking lot). Turn left at trail 9, this should bring you to trail 2, take another left. This will bring you to the Western shelter. Several picnic tables inside, at least one outside, and a nice view of the Ottawa river valley.

2010 Aug 21
Nepean Point.

2010 Aug 21
Rockcliffe Park.

2010 Aug 21
Mer Bleue.

2010 Aug 21
The how and what is probably more important than the where. Personally I find any requirement for a picnic table to be entirely unromantic. A well packed picnic basket with red/white checkered picnic cloth, good bottle of vino, fruit, cheese, and some homemade bread and you are ready to go. In the past I've had great luck at Hogs Back Falls, Cartier lookout, and various places along the river parkway. Depending on the girl, finding your way (illicitly) onto a rooftop downtown can be quite exciting.

2010 Aug 21
A small correction to Hatman's comment about the length of the King Mountain trail. It's around 2.5 km, not "less than 1km." That said, it's a wonderful trail for its short length. My kids have walked it several times starting when they were 3 or 4 years old.

For location, you can pretty much drive along the Rideau River or any other river in the area (Mississipi, Jock, etc) and just scope out a spot you like. I know because I've done this for fishing! :-)

2010 Aug 21
BTW, speaking of hiking, picnics, secluded places and impressing people on dates, in the first few months when I met my wife we went on a hiking picnic date out to the big field on the end of Cape Split, in the Annapolis Valley, NS. About a 10km hike

Impressed the hell out of her! :-)

images.google.com

2010 Aug 24
KanataCook, I've always enjoyed the locks, so I'd add to your Prince of Wales suggestion (is that one Black Rapids?) and say that Nicholsons Locks in Smiths Falls brings back heady memories of childhood picnics. Also Burritts Rapids, just off Dwyer Hill.