best corn [Food/Vendor]

2010 Aug 18
Hi, while you're on the road trip to Verona for garlic fest (as hff suggests), stop in Perth to get the best corn. On highway 7 there are 2 different farms selling corn. (don't know their name)One by the MacDonalds, and the other by Tim Hortons.
I like to cut the corn off the cob and freeze what we don't eat. When adding it to soup, it smells like summer.

2010 Aug 18
Well I don't know who the best corn guys are in Perth, but in Ottawa I rely on Hudsons. They have excellent varieties and are fresh at the Carp Farmers Market. We bought some corn from a farm stand just outside of Sandbanks on the weekend and it was horrible - looked fresh but ended up being extremely starchy.

2010 Aug 18
I second Hudson's - best we've had by far. They change up their varieties that are available - every week or so.

2010 Aug 18
I'll third Hudson's. It's so noticeably better than the store bought variety. I've never had a bad cob from Hudson's.

2010 Aug 19
solstice, I'm all for freezing summer corn too, and highly, highly recommend that people buy corn when it is at it's best from a reliable supplier and freeze it. We've been freezing it forever, well since the early 80's anyways. I remember first having home frozen corn in the late 70's when I was dating the farm girl who I'm now married to. Her grandmother introduced me to it and I've been in love with it ever since - store-bought frozen or canned corn cannot compare with corn at it's peak blanched, sliced off the cob and frozen. No special equipment needed. Just last night we had some friends over for a corn and tomato feed (fresh tomato sauce on pasta) (and a front-yard bonfire!) and one told us about being at her daughter's for dinner eartlier this summer and she and her daughter were trying to decide on what to make for vegetables when the d's hubby chimed in with an "anything but the frozen corn" comment as he didn't want to share the last bag of our frozen corn that they had in the freezer. I completely understand his sentiments.
The pic is my corn from 2 days ago - I froze 24 1-1/2 to 3 cup bags of it. Fall through spring it tastes and smells, as you say, solstice, "like summer". I concur .

2010 Aug 19
FYI it cans really well in mason jars, too. I did some last year for the first time, just as an experiment, and absolutely love it! Works extremely well and comes out of the jars tasting almost like right off the cob

2010 Aug 19
Zym - do you just process the corn alone or do you add a liquid?

2010 Aug 19
Can anyone help me find Blue corn, even in a can would be ok? I've called several farms in the area but cannot seem to find any!

2010 Aug 19
Last year when I made the cream corn it was just corn. I put it in a pot and used my hand blender as I recall. But this year I may add a very small amount of water - not sure yet. Was just mulling that over in fact.

And of course, it is pressure-can only.

2010 Aug 19
So for 2 dozen corn I had about 7L of corn kernels, which went down to about 4L with the hand blender. I added 1 cup of water, then another, and that seems about right to me, so I'm going with it and will can it up now.

2010 Aug 19
In hindsight, I think you'd want another 2 cups of water in there.

2010 Aug 20
Stripping corn off the cob :

Making Creamed Corn :

2010 Aug 20
Abby Hill Farms on Barnsdale and Prince of Wales....best corn I've ever had. Should have kept it for dessert it was that sweet and that good.

2010 Aug 20
Blue corn....

cgi.ebay.ca

2011 Mar 5
Just enjoying some of the creamed corn from my video above. Oh man it is great! Tastes like just off the cob!