What's the dressing on the side-salad-w/sushi? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Apr 11
ottawafoodies.com

THAT stuff. I know I've seen it elsewhere...

What is it, and got any recipes?

2007 Apr 11
I believe you're talking about a ginger salad dressing, here's a recipe I have tried a few times, worked out well. I put a bit less Soy.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 1 lemon, juiced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
* 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
* 2 teaspoons honey
* ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, mustard, honey and pepper. Once these are thoroughly combined, add the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly. When all of the oil is incorporated into the dressing, pour into a glass jar and chill until serving.

2007 Apr 11
I recently asked what was in the dressing when we were on vacation in San Diego and ate at a Japanese restaurant. The woman there said it was ginger/miso.

A quick internet search brought back several versions of recipes. I'm curious if anyone has made a ginger/miso dressing at home?

2007 Apr 11
I highly recommend Cold Mountain Miso www.coldmountainmiso.com/
You can find it at the Herb & Spice on Bank Street (www.ottawafoodies.com)
Miso has become a staple in my fridge (I like Kyoto Red the best). It makes a great quick soup, drink or dressing. You will usually see yellow or white miso used in salad dressing as it's mild/subtly sweet. This recipe is from Cold Mountain's site with two additions ~ I add ginger and a bit of sesame or olive oil. It's very, very good.

Miso Salad dressing (for ~ 1 cup)
4 tablespoons Mellow White Miso
4 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons mustard (Dijon)
1 tablespoon olive or sesame oil
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix well, serve. Yum.
(Over shredded iceberg lettuce plus one tomato and cucumber slice for full restaurant effect. Ha!).

2007 Apr 11
This is great, all of you! Wifey and I have been yearning for a good ginger salad dressing recipe. For the record, the best we've ever had was at Taste of Japan in bells corners.