Somebody sell me on black garlic [Food/Vendor]

2010 Aug 14
Alright, I keep picking up packages of $4-5 black garlic in the store thinking, "I should try this, but what do I do with it?"

Can anybody tell me what the flavor is like- sweeter? more intense?

What kind of recipes do you use it in?

2010 Aug 18
Anyone?

Bueler?

2010 Aug 18
I think they are fermented garlic. Next time I am in Loblaws (which I avoid) I will pick up a package. According to wikipedia "The taste is sweet and syrupy with hints of balsamic[1] or even tamarind".

2013 Jul 12
Where can we buy Black Garlic in Ottawa. Anyone seen it recently?

2013 Jul 16
At the Brewer Park/Landsdowne Farmer's Mkt, but i cannot remember which vendor, sorry.

2013 Jul 17
Andrew Craig a.k.a. Major Craig's Chutney is setting up production in Ottawa. blogs.ottawacitizen.com

2013 Jul 17
Al Picketts out in PEI is selling black garlic, home grown and fermented, at $17 per 1/2 lb bag, $30 per lb bag, and $1250 per 50 lb tote. He has an ad in The Garlic News that I read last night. He doesn't have a website but can be contacted by email at al@eurekagarlic.ca or phone at 902-836-5180. He may be too busy to talk cause I suspect he may have started harvesting some of the 46,000+ garlic plants he has this year! Last year Al wrote up an article in issue #32 of The Garlic News detailing his adventure into black garlic, along with taste tests on the different varieties he used.

PB, here's an interesting write-up of one PEI blogger's visit to Al's Eureka Garlic, including a recipe for Scallops with Black Garlic: myislandbistrokitchen.com

Anyone know if Major Craig is selling his black garlic locally, and his prices?

2013 Jul 17
Great info! Thank you so much everyone.

2013 Jul 17
and if the scallops look good to anyone do check out her Pork Loin Roast with Pomegranate, Red Wine, and Black Garlic Sauce: myislandbistrokitchen.com
I might need to get some black garlic myself.

2016 Mar 25
Thanks for posting this, Francis!