Help wood salad/dough bowl. [General]

2010 Aug 10
my googling skills are failing me. i recently bought an old wood dough bowl. it is in great shape - no splits or cracks. i have no idea what the interior is finished with. i want to be able to use this bowl regularly. does anyone know how i should go about refinishing it and then seasoning it with a food safe finish? or where to even go and ask? i'm one of those people that use my antiques & dishes, so i don't want a display piece.

thanks for any help.

2010 Aug 10
I would guess you'd treat it with the same thing you'd treat a cutting board with, no? Look for anything that says it is approved for food

www.leevalley.com,190,42942
www.leevalley.com,190,42942

See if this site has anything - it is a local Ottawa guy

woodgears.ca/

2010 Aug 10
hipfunkyfun I would use this product www.leevalley.com,190,42950&ap=1 It has wax in it, which will give better protection from moisture on the bowl. I would make sure to apply on both inside and outside to keep moisture profiles the same.

2010 Aug 10
PIO - that's a great product. Additionally, you used to be able to buy some butcher block treatment from Ikea for cheap $, not sure if they still carry it (it was mineral oil based).

2010 Aug 10
You can buy mineral oil almost anywhere, even Canadian Tire. I just use olive oil. I have two large wood bowls that I have had for years.

2010 Aug 10
We received a wooden salad bowl as a wedding gift (Cherry, lovely), and the fellow who made it highly recommended the Clapham's stuff that Pete links to.

2010 Aug 10
thanks all. i have the clapham's stuff, it is great. i am wondering if i need to refinish the interior and remove what is currently there to be safe? any ideas?

2010 Aug 10
Why don't you post a picture of it hipfunkyfun so we can give better advice? ( and drool a bit..)

2010 Sep 23
ok, here are some pictures. i have been trying to sand out the bowl by hand and i have removed a lot of wax and build up. i think there is still more there though, i have been able to scrape out a bit with my finger nail. i am considering just saying it's good enough, fine sanding it and then start treating it with clapham's salad bowl finish. what are the dangers to me if there is something there? i'll be using the bowl for dressed salads of all types, bread, dough, and who knows what else.

thanks for all suggestions and warning.

2010 Sep 23
here is another view. i am not touching the outside.

2010 Sep 23
What a sweet bowl.

You could try some steel wool before giving it a final fine sanding. Maybe try a mouse sander.

I doubt there is anything of any significant concentration that will make you sick, but the steel wool may help remove any remaining wax.