Best Poutine/Sugar Pie [Food/Vendor]

2007 Apr 6
I have in-laws from Edmonton in town this weekend who insist upon finding Poutine and Sugar Pie. I was wondering what your faves are for either of these things. The reviews under poutine aren't overwhelmingly positive. Please help me win brownie points!

2007 Apr 6
A friend of mine swears that the best poutine she's had here is from the chip truck on Rideau...on the south side of the street, closer to the Bytowne Cinema I think. It's there all year round, I'm pretty sure...it's the one with the picnic tables set up in front of it.

Don't know if that helps or if you want to go to a chip truck, but that's my two cents!

2007 Apr 6
Frenchie's Chip Wagon Frenchie's Chip Wagon in front of the Royal Bank in downtown Hintonburg has really good chips and poutine. Today they were not there it was so cold, but any time it's +5C or more they will be there.

2007 Apr 6
JP's Fries (Crispy Chips) is my favourite. I haven't tried Frenchie's yet though. My only problem with JP's is that now whenever I have poutine somewhere else I'm disappointed because I'm used to better. ;-)

While I've eaten enough poutine to be a self-proclaimed connoisseur, I can't make the same claim for sugar pie. In you're shoes, I'd go with anything from the Boulangerie St-Donat (www.boulangeriestdonat.com/). Products are available at Loeb, Costco, and maybe others (Farmboy?).

2007 Apr 7
Definately JP's for poutine.

But I'm a little biased. For years they used to have their wagon about a 5 minute walk from my house before moving to their present location.

Truthfully though, out of all the poutine I have ever ingested (its a great and vast amount, being my fave junk food), JP's is in a league of his own.

Theres JP's, and then theres all the rest.

As for sugar pie. Yuck. Right up there with pumpkin pie. But I hear my Mom makes a pretty good one.

2007 Apr 7
i've never had sugar pie at restaurants or anywhere public. lol I haven't seen it very often either. I don't know if it's just my impression of it, but i think it's like tourtiere.. something that most Québec families make, but is not seen at restaurants. Very good though. I make a decent one. ;)

2007 Apr 9
Thanks for all the recommendations. They ended up buying the sugar pie from a bakery in Byward. The texture was apparently really gellatinous, not what they were looking for.

Fortunately we'd bought some maple butter tarts from the Carp Farmers market and thanks to you folks I was able to sound quite knowledgeable when I told them I had it on good authority that authentic sugar pie was basically a maple butter tart without any raisins or nuts. For those of you with recipes, please cough them up so long as they aren't long held family secrets.

For the poutine, I'll likely send them to the chip truck on Rideau today since it's just down the street. I'll make sure to hit JP's or Frenchie's the next time we're out in those directions.