Old Ottawa South Fresh Food Store Now Really Open! [Food/Vendor]

2010 Jul 22
Ottawa Foodies Rejoice!

Old Ottawa South has a new fresh food store, and it's finally open.

Check it out at www.oldottawasouth.ca

or visit in the real world at 1255 Bank Street (east side of Bank "Between the Bridges"

Let me know your critique and we'll publish it on the Old Ottawa South website.

OOS is thrilled, and want everyone to come, and make it a success.

Glinda

2010 Jul 23
Yes they are!! I popped in just to have a look. Clearly they are still in "start up" mode - there's still some empty shelf space etc. However, the signs are positive - bakery, fish and meat counters, what looks like a pretty good selection of fresh produce, a fozen food case, dairy case, etc., plus a prepared foods section with a small eat-in seating area. I am leaving for a couple of weeks so couldn't really justify buying groceries, but I'll do my part to make sure that they succeed when I get back...we really need this store in the neighbourhood. I think they'll need a week or two to reach full operation, so hopefully people will be tolerant in the short term if they are not able to find what they need.

2010 Jul 23
Glinda that is great news! Even though I live in centretown I enjoy shopping in Old Ottawa South. I am long overdue for a visit so I will have to pay them a visit. I really missed having the old fruit and veggie store there so that Cedars & Co. will be a welcome addition to the neighbourhood.

2010 Jul 23
Going to check them out after work today.

What do they currently have in terms of prepared foods? I'm keen to try out their fish & chips but have they fired up the fryer yet ...? I guess I'll find out in a few hours.

I really missed the old Fresh Fruit store when it closed, it was such a great little store and so convenient for me. I'll certainly be doing my bit to help this new place be successful.

Cheers,
Ratty.

2010 Jul 23
I haven't been in yet myself (will pop in tomorrow) but I wouldn't be surprised if they DO have the fish and chips--they certainly have the fish!

My reporter got the shawarma and I think he said his companion got the fish, but I can't find the email now.

The butcher shop isn't ready yet apparently, so, yes please, cut them a little slack. There may be an official opening in about a month, in which case I will let the Foodies know.

Or register for our weekly newsletter and be among the first to know :-) www.oldottawasouth.ca

Cheers,
Glinda

2010 Jul 23
So ... too early for a proper review in the buzz section, they still have a lot of shelf space to fill but looks very promising.

Quite different to before, less fresh produce which is a bit of a shame, but what they had was very fresh (but I guess it should since they've been open <24hrs).

They did have an interesting selection of cakes, pies & pastries. I didn't get any on this visit but they look veeeerrrry gooood...

Even though the chiller cabinets are a bit bare, I did find some homemade (or at least Cedars brand) dips & pates by the fish counter which are waiting in my fridge to devour later. Actually you can just see them in the botton left of the photo in the post above.
Also they have some very nice looking homemade ice cream & sorbets (again, currently residing in my freezer, but will be attacked before too long).

As Glinda says, no butcher yet.

Shawarma station up & running - I'll go back to try that this weekend. No sign of fried fish yet ...

One thing I noticed which is great is that they are going to be open until 10pm.

Ratty.