Montreal Dinning [Travel]

2010 Jul 20
Heading to Montreal for the long weekend and looking for some good restaurant recommendations.

Looking to stay within downtown more or less area wise and nothing ridiculously expensive in terms of budget.

All and any suggestions welcome :)

2010 Jul 21
L'Academie! I know... every Montrealer is shaking their head... but the food is good and there's a SAQ next door!

2010 Jul 21
I liked Weinstein and Gavino's on Crescent. The music was too loud but they had some decent fresh pasta dishes.

www.wiensteinandgavinos.com

2010 Jul 21
There is a little place on St. Catherine called Le Paris. We had lunch there last August and it was great. The restaurant is a time capsule of Paris from the 1950's, decor, clientel and staff.

We had the lunch menu which consisted of a soup, main course and desert. It was all very well prepared and very inexpensive. Besides, the place is a load of fun just to listen to discussions about children living in france :)

A couple of expensive but wonderful restaurants are:

- Le Club de Peche et Chaisse in the Old City. It is clubby and romantic and the people watching is excellent.

- La Chronique on Laurier Ave west. We went on a rainy Sunday night and were the only table. They prepared a custom tasters menu that was amazing and an exceptional wine pairing. My only complaint was that we were too full to taste the cheese platter they prepared. By Ottawa standards it was expensive ($400 for two) but my goodness it was good. One of those really memorable meals.

2010 Jul 21
Modavie for dinner in Old Montreal is consistently good plus they have live music. Olive and gourmando also in Old Montreal for lunch/brunch is great but they are not open on Sundays fyi. Chuck Hughes restaurant Garde Manger is fantastic if you can get a reservation. Macaroni Bar on St. Laurent is also good for dinner/drinks.

2010 Jul 21
By the way, if you have a car, there is an Algerian butcher that makes the best merguez I have had in North America. I find the merguez made in Ottawa really sad.

The Butcher is called Boucherie Al Kahair on Jean Talon East. I usually by several kilos and freeze them. Hmmm, I need a trip to Montreal :)