Goose fat [Cooking]

2010 Jul 12
Any tips on where to buy this in Ottawa? It seems like a tough find

2010 Jul 13
I think it is tough...duck fat can be had at any of the butchers and most of the deli's I frequent. Sausage Kitchen in Byward Mkt might have goose fat, you'll have to call and ask.

Or, you can roast a goose (most supermarkets have frozen ones) and save the rendered fat, about 2+ cups worth. I find that a lot of the skin around the neck and body cavity can be trimmed and rendered in a sauce pan with a bit of water, and then the rest will be collected in your roasting pan as you roast the bird. That is the only way I have ever acquired goose fat.

2010 Jul 14
Thanks for the advice.

When you get the fat how do you usually store it?
How long does it last for?

2010 Jul 14
Generally I quickly strain/filter it and store it in a clean plastic container or short mason jar in the fridge. It keeps a long time, on the scale of months. However once my fridge was wonky and a bit of water condensed within a container of duck fat and it went rancid, so that is a concern to watch out for. You could also freeze it and then just scoop it out like ice cream when you needed it.

2010 Jul 14
x97, I remember seeing some for sale at the metro in Chelsea...

2010 Jul 14
I pressure can fat and it keeps indefinitely until opened

2010 Jul 14
Thanks to all of you again for the advice!

Chelsea! of course they would have it at a grocery store in Quebec, whereas in Ontario you need to search far and wide!

2010 Jul 14
X97, if I go up to the cottage this weekend, Ill take a look during my beer-run and report back...

2010 Jul 16
thanks, much obliged!