Where to buy fingerling potatoes? [General]

2010 Jul 2
Hi all,

I'm looking for a place to buy fingerling potatoes - I think I've seen them somewhere but I can't remember. Any help is greatly appreciated. My raclette party thanks you!

2010 Jul 2
I believe the Byward Fruit Market (i.e. the store not the outdoor market) regularly carries them.

I think I have seen them at Farmboy on occassion.

cheers and good luck!

2010 Jul 2
I've seen fingerlings at the superstore in Westboro as well as the Loblaws at College Square.

2010 Jul 2
I think Loblaws/Superstore in general markets their bags of president's choice fingerling potatoes.

I also saw them this morning at IGA in Alymer in bulk.

2010 Jul 2
Bryson Farms usually sells them if you can find them at one of the local markets. Have not seen them at Parkdale yet (Bryson nor Fingerlings)

2010 Jul 2
I have heard that Bryson is planning on selling @ the Piggy Market and not at the local outdoors markets... not sure if they are selling there yet, or if this will happen at all.

Edit: here's the link - www.brysonfarms.com

2010 Jul 3
I've had luck at the Superstore..... it's hit or miss at best.

2010 Jul 3
Hartmans usually has em too if you're downtown...

2010 Jul 4
Any of the "Loblaws" group seems to have imported fingerlings (just had some on the bbq tonight) I got mine at Brown's Independent in Stittsville.

2010 Jul 4
try Costco.
Local ones aren't out yet...but when they are try Roots and Shoots at the Ottawa Farmers' Market.

2010 Jul 4
when you get them, save some seeds for growing yourself. fingerlings are my fave as they have NO CARBS, mainly inulin and do not result in low glycemic carbohydrate weight gain nor spike your blood sugar. plus they are among the potatoes that have the highest yield and shorter growing season of about 3 months. for every 1 lb of seed fingerlings i find i get more than 20 lbs of potatoes. you can even grow them in buckets in the house in wintertime.

2010 Jul 4
Rock on Pej - gonna try that!

2010 Jul 4
Pej, gonna step on some toes here. I am calling BS on your inulin claims (I let it slide the first time you said it). Do you have any reference for the claim? Nutrition is one of my "hobbies".

Inulin IS a carbohydrate, it is just not a starch (it is actually a sugar, and an indigestable one, at that). I agree that a food high in inulin is a good food, I just don't see fingerling potatoes in that category. Chicory, sunchokes, onions, yes, yes, yes. No potatoes make the list of the top 10.

I can't find hard evidence to refute your claim, so you've intrigued me, but what I did find is that fingerling potatoes aren't even on the list of mild inflammatories. Inulin is WAY up there (since you can't digest it). If a tuber which derives nearly 100% of its food energy from carbohydrates was composed of prebiotic fibers like inulin instead of starches, it would make the list in spades).

Still lovin' you man... just going Wikipedia on your a** and looking for a reference. Smack me down if you can, cuz I'd love to eat me some potatoes again... just can't go there without proof... my gut would beat the cr*p out of my brain if I did.

2010 Jul 4
hey hhh,

no worries on stepping my toes, i'm bullet proof cuz you know how i care so much! ;) inulin is a type of carb, just one with very low GI. i wrote low-GI wrong by fast scripting, i meant it is not a high-GI one. i enjoy these potatoes i don't gain weight nor feel any crash to my attention span and the emotions are stable.

nice to hear you dig nutrition! keep it up! i was at a foodies party in toronto and it was VERY SAD to see obese, high BMI, indulgent food lovers litterly almost passing out from food comas etc... which are predictors of diabetes and other problems they don't want to admit. it was also embarrasing to be in mixed company with such a quirky group that appeared to need more balance and more awareness of health and nutrition...

that said, most of my peers are in the health care and research community and those underdoing diabetic treatment are restricted to a low GI, low carb, higher PH and more raw and macrobiotic diet, among other things, and mentioned to me that fingerling potatoes were the better bet of the tubers alongside salsify, sunchoke etc and not surprising they are also to stay clear of refined carbs, baked goods, sweets, sugars... no surprise that a lot of the food prepped and packaged around us in stores and at restaurants predisposes all of us to diabetes and harsh damage to our metabolism, hormones, aging and our bodies. so we all have to watch out what we eat. not into getting legal or high scientific nor am a potato expert, i wish i had the time but i'm just sharing what i've heard over dinners out. if there's a potato researcher out there who can elaborate, let's go!

cheers!

2010 Jul 5
Food comas are ok :P if you work it off the next day. ok maybe not... ugh i'm going to have to change my avatar pic thing now...

2010 Jul 5
Caribou one of the outdoor stalls at the Byward Market had some fingerlings last week. With the early growing season this year they might be popping up at the local farmers markets a little early.

2010 Jul 5
Woten: Everything in moderation, even moderation.

2010 Jul 12
Thanks everyone for the tips. I ended up seeing them at Il Negozio Nicastro at 792 Bank Street in the Glebe along with some mini Yukon Gold potatoes and red fingerlings as well.

Thanks again!