Sourcing kitchen towels/rags [General]

2010 Jun 27
I am by far not the cleanest person around a kitchen, while I am always conscientious about cross contamination I am just kind of messy when I cook. One thing, that usually helps contain my mess is extravagant amount paper towel, which aren’t that environmentally friendly. Which got me thinking, in high school I worked in a bikeshop and the owner would order bags of towels made from old t-shirts that had been disinfected and cut into rag size. Does anyone know where I could find these? I could use for a couple of days and than dispose of them.

Thanks

2010 Jun 27
Good call yan!

I just buy shop towels at crappy tire, home hardware, etc. Both the yellow synthetic ones for various scrubbing and soaking uses, as well well as 100% cotton ones for things like soaking up bacon fat (food applications)

Or just use old t shirts :-)

2010 Jun 27
You can buy what's called a "bag of rags" at Princess Auto as well, I think. Or if you don't want to sacrifice some of your own old tees, go to Value Village or St-Vincent De Paul and buy yourself a bunch of of the largest cotton tshirts you can find for dirt cheap.

2010 Jun 27
I've seen bundles of "bar wipes"-thin white terry cloths at Metro and I think Walmart.