OT: earthquake! [General]

2010 Jun 23
Wow, did you guys get that just now? It was HUGE and scared the bejeezuz out of me!

Where can we find out how big it was?

2010 Jun 23
We felt it downtown too. Our office building started shaking (the walls, the furniture, the works) and it sounded like the floor was cracking. A google search pulled up the following website: earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca And I quote: "June 23 1:45 pm Eastern Time - A moderate earthquake has occurred in the Ottawa-Montreal region. More information to follow."

2010 Jun 23
It sure rattled our bones here in the west end of Ottawa... and it continued for well over a minute. I've felt a few others since moving to Ottawa in the mid-70's, but this seemed WAY more powerful.

Early reports say magnitude 5.7, and it was felt all over the northeast.

2010 Jun 23
It certainly felt like over a minute but according to the Citizen it only lasted 20 seconds: www.ottawacitizen.com Apparently the tremors were felt as far away as Columbus, Ohio and Flint, Michigan

2010 Jun 23
For the precise source:

www.emsc-csem.org

Here downtown most offices have evacuated to the streets with almost everyone updating their Facebook and Twitters it's almost too funny. NERDS!

2010 Jun 23
i almost poo pooed me pants

2010 Jun 23
Spilled my beer than relocated to a patio...

2010 Jun 23
Less than 2.0 Micro Microearthquakes, not felt. About 8,000 per day
2.0-2.9 Minor Generally not felt, but recorded. About 1,000 per day
3.0-3.9 Often felt, but rarely causes damage. 49,000 per year (est.)
4.0-4.9 Light Noticeable shaking of indoor items, rattling noises. Significant damage unlikely. 6,200 per year (est.)
5.0-5.9 Moderate Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings. 800 per year
6.0-6.9 Strong Can be destructive in areas up to about 160 kilometres (100 mi) across in populated areas. 120 per year
7.0-7.9 Major Can cause serious damage over larger areas. 18 per year
8.0-8.9 Great Can cause serious damage in areas several hundred miles across. 1 per year
9.0-9.9 Devastating in areas several thousand miles across.
1 per 20 years
10.0+ Epic Never recorded; see below for equivalent seismic energy yield.

2010 Jun 24
This is probably one of the best sites for earthquake info around. Location/map and depth of the quake. It shows how many quakes are active every day.

earthquake.usgs.gov

2010 Jun 24
I experienced magunitude 7 earth quake 15 years ago. It was devastating.

2010 Jun 24
I really hoped that this forum would be my one sanctuary from the irrational terror sorrounding the geological equivilent of a transport truck driving by your house...
Ah well...

2010 Jun 24
englishfoodie, while i agree that some people reacted irrationally, the earthquake was felt differently throughout the city. my husband works near richmond & 416 - he was outside at the time and didn't feel anything. my coworker was in his car a few miles from the office - he also felt nothing. i work on the top floor of an office building near the airport and our floor shook significantly. enough to knock some of the ceiling tiles down. i have no experience with earthquakes, so it was very alarming. many of my coworkers come from countries where earthquakes happen and they laughed at our inexperience.

2010 Jun 25
Agreed HFF. While I've lived on the West Coast and Asia I lucked out and never experienced any earthquakes. It cracked the walls and knocked ceiling tiles out at my work (transport trucks do not do this), and really frightened me a lot. Maybe it is a little irrational, but it is still a bit scary to be reminded of how much we are at the mercy of forces beyond our control :P

2010 Jun 25
HFF & Cait,
LOL, I know I was just being Facetious, also a little jealous b/c it seemed as if every office building downtown except ours was being let go early.

For the record, I've been through a couple of 5 pointers, and my office was pretty much the same, myself and one other personwere sitting quietly in our offices while the rest of the people had no idea what to do.