Help with Brown Rice [General]

2010 Jun 18
Ok I'll say it...I don't like brown rice, at least the way I make it. But I know it's good for me and I should eat it more often, but it just seems to turn out kind of sticky, clumpy, chewy and just generally unpleasant. I've tried rinsing it, quickly toasting it in oil, extra water...

Are there some tricks that I am missing? Should I soak it? Or just get used to it and try and fit it in stuffings or soups where I won't notice the texture as much?

2010 Jun 18
Likewise - I am not a fan but my wife is so what we have done - we purchased a rice streamer (Wolfgang Puck's version) and we add some orange juice to the rice to give it some extra flavour and fluff - about 1/2 cup to the mix

2010 Jun 18
if the cooking time is the same, try doing half brown and half white. then slowly work your way into a larger amount of brown rice.

2010 Jun 18
Ok, don't hate me but I make Brown Minute Rice.

I, too, used to hate brown rice because I didn't really realize how much longer it took to cook. I would end up with chewy rice. So, I gave the minute rice a try and it's decent.

I make pilafs with lentils, mushrooms etc.

2010 Jun 18
I cook my brown rice using the stove top method and over really low heat using the lowest temperature the burner will go. I noticed the rice is less likely to become sticky that way. I also take the rice off the burner just before it is done then let it sit and rest to let it soak up the last little bit of liquid. You could also try cooking it in chicken or vegetable stock.

2010 Jun 18
Fool proof.

Twice the water as rice (cup for cup)
Put it all in a pot just big enough
Bring to boil
Stir well
Reduce heat to 1
Cover
Time 20 minutes

Done

Now, depending on your rice it may take a bit of fine tuning. We have some that take 30 minutes and 2.5 times water as rice. But the above works for most of them.

It basically boils dry and is perfect every time. If you take off the lid at 20 minutes and there is still a lot of water at the bottom, then try 5 more minutes. And so on. But once you have the right ratio and time for a given rice, it will work every time exactly like that. Perfect every time.

Works for barley and other stuff too.

2010 Jun 18
you don't mention how many or what varietals you've experimented with, but one possibility (somewhat in line w/ Pan B's suggestion) might be to try different types of brown or unpolished rices, e.g., a Basmati brown or a Thai "red cargo" rice, to see how those work for you taste- and texture-wise.

if all else fails, buy one of those kick-ass rice cookers Aisu mentioned in another thread.

Or just go back to eating white or semi-unpolished: you can get the thiamin, vit-b's and all that stuff from other sources.

2010 Jun 19
I probably should have provided a little more info on my failures so far. Generally when I make basmati (which i tend to use for all non risotto/paella dishes) i wash it really well, cover it with one knuckle of cold water (real accurate I know) put it on high until the pot is boiling aggressively forming little "craters" on the surface. I then put the lid on, cover with a towel and put it over a new burner set to the lowest it can possibly go. Results are the same every time, distinct fluffy grains of rice that are tender but not splayed at the ends, and best of all not stuck to the pot whatsover.

Ive tried this with brown rice and I can't replicate individual, non-sticky, fluffy grains of rice that aren't overly chewy. Can brown rice be achieved like this? It almost seems better suited to rice pudding to me. Preparing it like a pilaf (saute in oil with vegetables, add water, cook) hasn't worked either.

Thanks for the input I welcome your suggestions...

2010 Jun 19
i cook brown basmati all the time. i use a rice steamer and it makes perfect, individual fluffy rice. i have heard you can get this texture by cooking it in the oven, but haven't tried it.

brown cooks differently than white, so doing your standard white technique with the brown rice won't result in the same consistancy. i find brown needs more water and cooking time is a lot longer.

2010 Jun 20
Tracinho, i'm not super-fond of white rice (grew up on brown rice, whole grain breads, etc.), but my partner doesn't like brown. So, our concession and something to consider, if brown really isn't your thing, might be "half-milled" rice, which apparently retains most of the benefits but with a more "white-like" consistency and taste: www.tamakimai.com

Another option, probably not the texture you're after, but sort of interesting (esp. for the sprout-geeks on this site) -- pre-soak your brown rice for additional nutrition: www.abc.net.au and en.wikipedia.org

2010 Jun 20
Typically I use brown rice in composite dishes like Jambalaya where it isn't noticed. Otherwise, I put it in cold water and cook for 45 minutes which gets me a good final result.

2010 Jun 20
OK - the BEST and easiest brown rice I have tried is the Dainty Time-Wise Whole Grain Brown Rice. My husband is no lover of brown rice either, but this rice cooks up nicely, grains separate and fool-proof. You add it to a large pot of boiling water. You boil the rice (like pasta) for 15 minutes, then drain (like pasta) and serve. It's perfect everytime!

2010 Jun 20
My method above works for any type of grain I've ever tried. The only variables are time and water:grain ratio.

2010 Jun 20
I agree with the others, a rice steamer is the way to go especially for brown rice. But I have just posted a recipe on the forum that you should try with or without the steamer. I omitted the salt though and just added some once the rice salad was assembled. I'm crazy about it and my whole family raved about it.
Its called Brown Rice, Tomato and Basil Salad. Easy and excellent.

Its a perfect summer time recipe with fish or anything else for that matter.

www.epicurious.com

2010 Jun 21
From Cooks Illustrated I have had good success with this recipe.Serves 4 to 6. Published May 1, 2004.

To minimize any loss of water through evaporation, cover the saucepan and use the water as soon as it reaches a boil. An 8-inch ceramic baking dish with a lid may be used instead of the baking dish and foil. To double the recipe, use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish; the baking time need not be increased.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice , medium-grain brown rice, or short-grain brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon table salt
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in 8-inch-square glass baking dish.

2. Bring water and butter or oil to boil, covered, in medium saucepan over high heat; once boiling, immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice. Cover baking dish tightly with doubled layer of foil. Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.

3. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with dinner fork, then cover dish with clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer; serve immediately.

2010 Jun 24
all 3 recipes and techniques given above will work
a bit of oil in the water helps
and there are many kinds of brown rice
my fave are brown jasmine and brown short grain
I like to use equal parts water, dashi and rice