help: peanut and legume allergy [General]

2010 Jun 8
i am hosting a party for my sister in a week and just found out one of the guests has a peanut and legume allergy. the menu was vegetarian, but now i am not sure what to do. some of the dishes can still be made. is anyone familiar with this type of allergy? does it mean no soy as well? (one dip had soy sauce, another sesame oil). i am trying to get in touch with the guest directly, but it has been hard. i thought i'd come and ask here. i would say 85% of my diet is legume based, so it is hard for me to imagine recipes without them.

2010 Jun 8
What sort of party is it? Sit-down? Cocktail/appetizers?

How allergic is the guest?

I'm familiar with nut and soy allergies, but the friend who is allergic can eat things that are prepared near nuts. Just not the nuts/soy.

Have you looked at Lana's blog (www.apronstrings.ca/about/)? She might have some good tips, since her son is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. It's a start...

2010 Jun 9
thanks lwb. the guest has life threatening allergy to peanuts and fish, but less so to chickpeas and lentils. i'm looking through the blog right now. i am thinking we will just fill up on cheese and vegetables.

btw, it is a wine tasting party, hosted by billy's best bottles. so appetizers before and more of a meal after. blerg, i am not good with dietary restrictions, i like to cook what i feel like eating and figure to hell with the guests...

2010 Jun 9
As someone who hates most types of nuts, and rarely eats legumes...

I would likely go with just cheeses for the wine tasting, and aim for more grains and simple veg in the meal.

Risotto
Veggie panini's

... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

2010 Jun 9
This is very tricky, especially for a vegetarian menu. Soy and peanut are both legumes--not the same as tree nuts and seeds. Unfortunately there are plenty of folks with allergies to all. Casein (dairy & cheese, a dairy protein) is a common allergy with people allergic to other proteins-nuts, legumes, seeds, and eggs. My daughter has life threatening sensitivities to several of the above categories. What lots of folks do not realize is that people with these serious reactions cannot tolerate foods that may have been "processed in a facililty which processess....". If you have people seriously compromised I suggest they bring their own food. Because vegans are already limited, if they have sensitivities/allergies it becomes even harder to find optimal food suggestions. Good luck. I cook this way every day and sometimes feel defeated to create a yummy menu (I can do a no wheat-dairy-gluten-egg-nut,sugar menu (and have done!) but no chef would want to proclaim it as their own. Message me if you want special menus--I have lots.

2010 Jun 9
A protein rich grain like quinoa, amaranth or kasha could work as a main, provided cross-contamination at the production facility isn't an issue (Bulk barn is currently selling their amaranth seed for 50% off, I believe they're discontinuing the item). Quinoa and amaranth do well with a simple lemon juice/ vinegar based dressing and some uncooked or lightly grilled vegi's. Perhaps some salad rolls as an app (fill with vermicelli, vegetable sticks, green onions, sauteed mushrooms, fresh basil). A dip for the rolls could be a simple rice vinegar/ olive oil mix. You can make a nice dip with sun dried tomatoes, just omit any nuts from the recipe, perhaps replace them with a cooked grain (quinoa or barley would probably work). Mushroom/ vegi filled wonton's might do, depending on the ingredients in the dough. Good luck.