Healthy School Catering Fundraisers [General]

2010 Jun 7
Hey folks, the government is about to introduce some new rules which personally I largely welcome

www.ottawacitizen.com

But of course it is a 2 sided coin because schools make a lot of money off selling pizzas and such. Our school has a lunch fundraiser every 2 weeks - one time pizza, then next time Subway. The Subway is not as worrisome although they do silly stuff like forbid whole wheat bread and some of the healthier toppings (I'm going to get involved with PTA next year and bring this up).

I'd like to get rid of the pizzas altogether too. Though the loopholes that will be in the new legislation will let schools have 10 "waived" days per year.

Anyway, I'm thinking ahead and wondering if there are any ideas out there on how schools could replace the pizza days. The article linked suggests that the government believes this could be a great opportunity for local small-scale food vendors. Is it really?

OK, I know my two boys LOVE shawarma. Do all kids? I dunno. I'd have to guess it is way healthier than the sloppy pizza they serve, in any case. Maybe the school could strike some kind of a deal with a local vendor. Though to be sure it would be more difficult to make schawarma for 100 than pizza.

Is there a healthy way for schools to fill the gap? In the immediate term I suppose they'd just go 100% subway. What other alternatives are there?

2010 Jun 7
I'm glad you brought this topic up, zymurgist. I read it this morning and thought of questions much like you. I think there will be a lot of headscratching going on in the next year at parent councils prior to the introduction of the new regulations.
One of the healthier lunches introduced this year was a chicken Caesar salad, though it came with a packet of Kraft dressing - bigger than healthy if one used it all, I suspect. We also have subs - meat and lettuce only, though a bottle of mayo is sent to each classroom with the lunches. These are all made at local stores (not chains) as far as I know; lasagna too, I think. Parent volunteers also make some of the hot lunches - soup, burgers/cheeseburgers,, beefaroni, chicken on a bun,and grilled cheese sandwiches. I'll have to ask if there are more items I've forgotten.
We also have a snack program, under the guise of the "Breakfast for Learning" program from which we get money to buy healthy foods and snacks so that kids who forget to bring linch, don't have food in the house, don't have breakfast, etc. can get something to eat. As nearly all the students are bused in we don't have a proper pre-school breakfast program as such, just foods and juiceboxes distributed to each classroom at the start of each day.
Of course, in an ideal world I think it is the parents who should be responsible for providing healthy breakfasts, lunches and snacks for their kids, not the school's responsibility. The reality is too many parents do not.

2010 Jun 7
I like the breakfast program idea because some families can barely make ends meet. It is one of my favorite charities, in fact. My boys do "Breakfast Club" a few times a month.

2010 Jun 7
What's "Breakfast Club" and why are your boys there?

2010 Jun 7
Andy - it's a program which provides breakfasts for children at schools. basic premise is that every child is entitled to a healthy meal to start their day. menu usually consists of cereals, milk, juice, fruits, etc.

i think it's funded by a variety of government agencies, not-for-profits, and community associations. the one at my (former) public school was run by the Rotary Club or Kiwanis.

great program.

2010 Jun 7
So why did they forbid whole wheat bread for Subway?? and the other healthy toppings? The only one I can think of being a problem might be tomatoes and soggy bread issues?

2010 Jun 7
I have mixed feelings about this one too. I've always shaken my head when schools force the kids to bring healthy lunches and snacks every day (I've heard of parents getting a note from the teacher if they slip a little Halloween chocolate bar into a lunch as a treat) but then they turn around and sell chocolate bars to raise funds! Who do they think is eating the chocolate bars? Kevin the Snipe!?

I agree that schools shouldn't be promoting junk food at every turn, so in general this is a good initiative. It bothers me that it's necessary, because the problem starts at home, and kids who eat nothing but processed foods at home are unlikely to go for the healthier foods at school. But what other choice do the schools have?

As far as Shawarma goes, it's only marginally healthier than Pizza. It's loaded with sodium, fat, and empty carbs too! The veggies are relatively few (or pickled), the sauces are full of oil, and the pita is white. Shawarmas are the Quiznos Subs of the wrap world, meaning their yumminess comes with a huge load of calories. To be eaten in moderation just like pizza...

2010 Jun 7
Pan Bagnat, Subway doesn't have whole wheat bread. Their "Wheat" bread is white flour with a tiny bit of whole wheat flour (less than the high-fructose corn syrup) and wheat bran added for texture.

(ref: subway.com)

2010 Jun 8
So monty it's a preschool breakfast program for kids who walk or are driven to school, not bused. Not something found in rural schools that I know. I wonder if it is a pay if you can, pay what you can, or free for all. Anyway I look at any of these programs it's taking over parental resposibilities. However, sometimes it is necessary. When I see what some kids do bring to school for lunch I literally shake my head - all small packets of granola bars, cookies, puddings, stuff that in some cases comes from the food bank. Then there are the kids sent to school with no lunch as punishment - really! ...giving head a big shake...

Anyways, I like the idea of shawarmas in some ways, but they can be made healthier to suit schools - whole wheat pita, potato-based garlic sauce or garlicky hummus, fresh lettuce and tomatoes... someone just has to work it out - the obvious problem is the cost, as always.
I too was thinking afterwards last night about getting more ethnic foods into the school for a lower cost, nutritious lunch/fundraiser. Chickpeas seem obvious - they are cheap and nutritious and flavourful in so many dishes - roasted with spices, falafel, etc. Ful is another food that comes to mind, served on a pita, or musakhan, perhaps. I keep thinking there must be some street foods around the world that might be worth trying to fit into a school kitchen/food program/fundraiser. Any ideas out there?

Fresh Foodie wheat bread aint' what it used to be, is it? Reading the ingredients list dismayed me {{head shaking again}} Thanks a lot for bursting my bubble wrt Subway - ignorance was bliss...off to the garden to pick some spinach to clear my head...

2010 Jun 8
Wow, I did not know that about the subway bread - thanks FF! Man, has my dad been ruined! They forbid it (and veggies) at the school I think as part of the agreement with subway to keep things simple to make the subs easier to make (by reducing options). THough even if it is not whole wheat it is still a better option, and IMO that should be the default, not white bread.

2010 Jun 8
Why does this remind me of a NY Times article: cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com

Everything in moderation, even moderation itself. I would prefer that schools focus on encouraging activity and encouraging children to learn about food, rather than

Is pizza twice a month really all that bad? How much money are they making from pizza days and why couldn't that be redirected into other fundraisers? I get that broccoli isn't going to make enough money for new sports equipment, but who says that food is the bane of the fundraiser's existence?

Personally, I think that breakfast programs are a great idea. They're an opportunity to teach kids more about their food, they encourage the eating of breakfast and foster community (the relationship between the volunteers and the school, the school and the kids). It's not about parents neglecting their responsibilities any more than you can make that argument about kids who go to daycare because their parents aren't home after school.

2010 Jun 8
No, I really don't care that my boys get pizza at school once a month or whatever. They eat well enough that this won't matter one bit. What bothers me is 2 things : (1) the people making these decisions probably are feeding their kids that crap on a daily basis so they do not give it a 2nd thought. I tried to get involved in PTA the last few months but with the arrival of the baby it was just not possible, but I will be in there next year stirring things up, and (2) the association with my children that "special event at school" == "crap food". I just don't like that association one bit. It is just all-round a bad example for the school to be setting, and I don't think it is required.

EDIT : I saw that linked article before and I hope this would not be the case in Ontario. I think bake sales is a different matter because that is not being presented as a complete meal - by definition it is presented as an extra treat and is expected pretty much to not be nutritious.

2010 Jun 8
Zym: "the association with my children that "special event at school" == "crap food". I just don't like that association one bit." totally agreed

When I was in grade one there was a day where each kid brought in 2 different foods and everyone had to try each thing. I'm (nearly) 30 now and I still remember that one day. It was very exciting.

I don't know how this could be monetized for the school but people are innovative and with the gap this initiative will leave, people will find a way to fill it, hopefully in a way that will foster a love of a healthy variety of foods.

2010 Jun 8
Personally I find the govt going way to far on this. In my kids school there is no cafeteria, however you can sign up to get pizza 2x a month, and subway the other two weeks. We signed our kids up only for the pizza. Tell me that 1 slice of cheese pizza twice a month is bad for your kid - especially compared to the prepackaged crap you see in some kids lunch bags. It is good pizza too - Carp pizza. Anyway the pizza is out, and now they are trying an experiment with mucho burrito, which I applaud. I totally agree that schools - at least elementary schools should not have chips/soda etc generally available to kids. By high school, the kids are plently old and mature and mobile enough to make their own decisions.

2010 Jun 8
Our school has banned bake sales this year for fear of killing a student with allergies - one classstands out in my mind having 3 students with life-threatening allergies to peanuts(2) and peaches (1). How many others are in the school - I don't know any more. It used to be that their pictures and medical info were posted in the staff room for all to see and know but that stopped this year (my guess is for privacy rules!!!). My guess also is we'll never see the likes of Tiana's exciting day trying new foods happen again.
I agree with lwb that breakfast clubs are a good idea and can be used to feed hungry kids and to promote good info and values, but in an ideal world they wouldn't be needed. They are needed, sadly.
High school kids still need some guidance and regulation in the food dept. imo, sourdough. I like the idea of burritos - beans especially because they are a cheap nutritious food (and who in an elementary school cannot enjoy all the ensuing farting!)

Back to raising funds ideas - no longer allowed the bake sale to raise funds for the school's foster child my wife is organizing a rummage sale aimed at students - toys, games, jewelery, etc. No clothes. Leftovers to go to a couple local chariteis dealing with children at risk and the poor.

2010 Jun 8
Andy, I think it depends upon your definition of an ideal world. Personally, I think that the benefits of a breakfast club are substantial enough that they could be useful even if all families were capable of finding the time to provide a healthy breakfast at home.

I am of the mindset that the majority shouldn't suffer because of one or two students' allergies. These kids are going to have to learn how to live with their allergies and sheltering them from things is not the way to do it. Obviously the school doesn't want for there to be an accident, but it's not as though they've stopped doing gym class outside because of the students with bee sting allergies. (Or have they?)

2010 Jun 8
The new rules set by the Ministry of Educations are certainly creating a challenge for those involved in fundraising. Although the Minstry is trying to encourage healthy eating it all starts at home. Many parents may feel time constraints so they rely on frozen dinners, prepackaged foods and the like to feed their young ones. By the time their little ones reach high school the kids are ready to pack their own lunches but they are not doing the grocery shopping yet. So if the kitchen pantry is stocked with prepackaged foods then that is what will show up in their lunch bags. I worked for the school board in a former life and I was really impressed at how creative the kids are. If they can't do bake sales or pizza lunches I'm sure they will come up with other fundraising ideas.

During my years with the board one of the schools I worked in had a breakfast program. Apparently the service was offered since some of the students' families were not able to provide them with a nutrious breakfast. I believe the local grocery store donated the food. (Admittedly my stint with the school board was a few years ago so things may have changed since I left.) The problem was that half of the student population came from affluent families and the other half of the students came from low-income families. Screening out which students are entitled to breakfast and which ones aren't can be a challenge so the grocery store used to donate enough food for the entire student body.

2010 Jun 8
lwb, I wonder if those benefits are actual or perceived? And I wonder what breakfast club is like for students in gr 7-8, and what it would be like if the whole student body attended in order to reap the benefits. How could it be well-managed?
I'm kinda on the fence re peanut allergies - some kids really don't get, and some are incapable of getting, the seriousness of the allergy. Some parents as well, I will add. One single mistake can result in a dead child, and I wouldn't want it to be mine, yours or anyone's.
As for bee stings there is no ban that I have heard of anywhere on students not beening allowed out at recess/gym. I may ask the principal about that.

2010 Jun 8
Quote " Personally, I think that the benefits of a breakfast club are substantial enough that they could be useful even if all families were capable of finding the time to provide a healthy breakfast at home. "

I could not agree more. The benefits are "community building". They are very, very real. And there is nothing at all wrong with affluent kids going - mine go quite a bit as already mentioned. But then again, I also donate to the program. Having affluent kids going is a key to the program so that there is not a stigma associated with it. So the kids who need it do not fee like "the poor kids"

I also agree that kids with allergies need to fend for themselves - but after a certain age. Not sure yet what age that is exactly, but I do know that my 8 year old would easily be able to handle it on his own if he had an allergy. My 6 year old, maybe not.

As a point of reference, my great nephew has a serious peanut allergy and he managed to be given peanuts by a close care giver and nearly died. So even people who should know better give these kids stuff that will kill them. He was only saved because they happened to be right in front of a hospital when it happened. Shielding kids is not the answer. Teaching them to fend for themselves is.

2010 Jun 9
Wow, this can get to be a controversial issue. I have always been about healthiest food whenever possible,especially for children. I have a child with life threatening allergies-anyphallaxis, high blood pressure, swelling(including peanuts, macadamia nuts, kiwi, penicillin, wasp/insect stings-possibly others). I have spent many years worrying about these matters. She carries an epi pen at all times. She is/was also very sensitive (symptoms like vomiting, rashes, diarrhea to wheat and dairy)-hence could not be involved in hotdog day (80's!), pizza, subs). I am quite educated in nutrition and food science (BSc in Home Economics 1982, UWO). I have no easy answers. My daughter and the only other child in her grade school with similiar problems ate in the principle's office (for 6 years--they are still friends!) Wish I could allay people's fears but my daughter just spent a couple of days in hospital with some very dramatic life threatening reactions and strong treatments a few weeks ago-epinephrine shots, benadryl drips.
We taught her to "fend for herself". She is now 26 years old. We still don't know where the cross contamination from this last reaction came from. My other 2 children have no food problems. I do provide food for a preschool that over 1 week feeds 25 children--we have to be gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut-peanut-sesame-soy free, fish and seqfood as well as coconut, pineapple and kiwi free. 3 children carry epi pens. I believe we have to ask what we have done to food in our society? I know it is a big bother for parents to provide a healthy (allergen-free) lunch for children and I used to think some institutions were to strict. Now I think it is prudent that parents be kind and tolerant of their kid's co-students. If your children are lucky enough to eat all foods , please try to be tolerant of those who can't. They do not want to be a bother...And like Zym and other's be involved. I still am involved with the board of education regarding food-let us be pro-active (check out Jamie Oliver!) Thanks for listening to the rant....

2010 Jun 10
this is getting slightly off topic now, but...

w.c. your statement "I believe we have to ask what we have done to food in our society?" is something i have been wondering about since my son was born.

i had/have always looked at people with allergies as more of a burden to try to accomodate (bad habit, i know). now that i have a kid (allergy free), i think about the food he eats. his first daycare had a child with a lot of allergies and it was such a learning process for his parents, and i had to learn a long with them. i choose not to feed my kid any of the trigger foods in the morning before daycare, just as a precaution. i was so worried he would get to daycare with a smudge of peanut butter on his pants, or some avocado on his shirt.

it seems that there are so many kids with allergies these days that we can't look at the situation as how it was when i was young, or even how it was when your 26 daughter was young. i think it is all new out there and we have to re-learn and create a new system. it is hard and i am keen to learn what i can.

i think it is the parents responsibilities to inform the school of the allergies, but if the rest of us parents have to change the lunches we pack, i want the school to provide some suggestions and ideas. i wonder if in an ideal world the schools should now provide healthy lunch that meets all the requirements?

2010 Jun 11
we went to an info session yesterday put on by the city of Ottawa Public Health Dept. for the MOE.
It appears that hot dogs and pizza aren't entirely off the menu. If the food providers follow the rules they can attapt the ingrediants to comply.
Which, in my opinion, doesn't fit in with the spirit of the policy.
Also, there is one important thing missing...the main stakeholders, the KIDS. Not sure if the curiculum has changed to address this.

BTW we already provide HOT POTATO DAYS (with salads) at several schools, which do comply already. We are looking at expanding this service in Septemeber, so if interested contact us.