Portuguese Cuisine [General]

2010 Jun 6
Hi all!

This is my first post here, though I've been lurking for months now. What I'm looking for is advice- I've got a huge family pig roast that I'm going to in a month's time, and have to prepare a dish or dishes. To make things interesting, we were all given a country, and thankfully I was tasked with Portugal. I say thankful because the guy assigning countries also tasked out the more challenging, subtler cuisines of countries like Liechtenstein, Tonga, Kyrgyzstan and Aruba.

We have to bring either a vegetable, soup or dessert for twenty people. My knowledge of Portuguese cuisine is a little hazy, so I was hoping that your beautiful collective minds might have some suggestions. I've been looking at Caldo Verde, and also interestingly-named desserts like the Toucinho do Ceu ('Bacon from Heaven') but would love some ideas.

All comments and thoughts gratefully appreciated!

2010 Jun 7
Welcome aboard!

As desserts go, those little egg custard tart thingies would work out well for a crowd. They're pre-portioned, and they're delicious. Used to get them all the time when we were in London (Ontario).

I've never made them, though, so I can't recommend a recipe. I'll just link to mouth-watering pictures over on Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org

2010 Jun 8
Welcome!

The one contributing suggestion I have is caldo verde. Apparently it's one crowd-pleaser of a Portuguese soup!