What competes for your dining out $ [General]

2007 Mar 27
So what competes for your dining out dollar?

For me it's shows....I have been looking over my "to try" list and thinking that a few things will have to wait.
After the Carribean Flavours fire I made a point of knocking one restaurant off my "to try" list, in this case Genji. But some of the other restaurants will have to wait because...

I just saw Explosions In The Sky play in Montreal last weekend. Do Make Say Think AND People for Audio are both playing in April. My friend (and fellow chef Scotty Adams) just played on Sunday with his band and they are playing with Rock Plaza Central in April as well.

So is anybody else looking over the Bytowne guide, or eyeballing some kitchen toys or travel brochures etc and trying to figure out how to spend their money?
Perhaps I am not that much of a foodie...because given the choice I will feed my ears before feeding my stomach.

2007 Mar 27
I bet you're just saying that because you're full from dinner!! ;-)

I give my stomach preference over my ears but I still love music. Your preference for music doesn't prevent you from being a foodie!

Wifey and I often go for a "movie and pho" on our date night, rather than do the fancy meal thing. For me, the pho is usually the highlight. :]

2007 Mar 28
I take the family out a couple of times a month and it's usually good beer that is the big draw. Most places that have good beer have decent food too, so there is nothing to worry about there. Friday we'll be going out again and it will be a tossup between JIJ's Schnitzelhouse Schnitzel House (JIJ Beer Garden) and the (new!) Clocktower The Clocktower Brew Pub.

2007 Mar 28
Well, for me it's movies and sports. I scan the Bytowne guide every month like you suggest, and summer is around the corner, so another round of registration fees is coming for ultimate frisbee. I have a long "to try" list as well, but since joining this site, bf and I have been trying one every week or two.

Having other interests means that you're well rounded (and not - just? - around the waist). ;)

2007 Mar 28
Lately, it's been my 6 month old son. Having to find a sitter creates a bit of a hassle, so my wife and I have been going out less, or to different types of restaurants. I wouldn't want to bring a possibly screaming infant into a nice establishment and ruin anyone else's dining experience. Lately we've just been running out for a quick bite in the west end, instead of heading downtown as we used to.

2007 Mar 28
w.r.t. kids - if the restaurant caters to people with kids, don't worry about other patrons. e.g. child booster seats and high chairs. just about everyone has kids sooner or later. it's something we all deal with. anyone who complains is the one with the problem - and they could use all the 'treatment' they can get. my 2 cents. just remember not to get upset when someone else brings in a baby 10 years from now.

that having been said, when our 2nd got to be around 1 and was walking, he and his 3 year old brother were total mayhem in restaurants. up out of their seats all the time, running all over the place and so on. We gave up not for the sake of others, but for our own sanity! We used to go out at least every 2nd week but stopped completely until just recently. #2 is now 3.5 and #1 is 5. They can usually be convinced to stay seated through the whole meal though sometimes we do have to get the cheque and pay it early so we can bolt at the first sign of them getting restless.

2007 Mar 29
w.r.t. kids... I don't mind bringing my 18month toddler to restaraunts, but my wife and I take a very zen approach to it... in that if we are prepared to bring junior, we are also prepared to bail if things become unmanageable. So far, we haven't been disappointed. That being said, I'd point to my review of Bistro 115 (ok.. I'll not point, and make you go look) and how the server there offered to hold junior for a couple minutes so we could finish eating in peace... THAT is good service!

2007 Mar 29
Pete, that is excellent service! We've been okay for bringing him a few places so far, but if we want a nice dinner, I'd rather just not bring him, as it takes away from my dining experience as well, but wouldn't have a problem bringing him to a half decent place that seems more family oriented.

Also competing for my dining out $$ is sporting events, concerts and home renovations. It seems to be mostly the time to go out and have dinner and enjoy a bottle of wine that's lacking more these days.