Labour Convictions Archive [General]

2010 May 31
I know that the publication of health inspections resulted in a number of arguments about what does/does not belong on this site. I thought I would, however, let you know that the Ministry of Labour has an archive for convictions by businesses.

www.labour.gov.on.ca

Examples of prosecutions in Ottawa include failing to pay minimum wage and not paying overtime, or providing holidays. It's worth taking a look at, if you've ever worked in the service industry.

2010 May 31
Interesting but just think of these convictions as only the very few complaints where staff have the backbone to stand up and go forward with the complaint! I highly doubt they'd still be employed after fining small businesses. Let it also be known that the service industry throws out most of the labour laws by being verrrrrry sneaky. Aside from working at making the customers' experience as best as possible for tips, it's an industry where you have to put up with a lot of kissing ass to others' satisfaction, rolling with the punches, side-swiping harassment and when at the time of year where business gets slow or when times are bad, staff are treated like crap real fast. Letting staff go is so easy by simply not giving shifts, or cancelling every shift. Not that I've done it, but what most owners forget is if they piss off staff who know how shady restaurants and businesses are with hiding cash deals is that there is an anonynomous hotline with CRA that they can fully detail and fully substantiate these which can trigger the most hellish audit which can pretty much cripple the business and can result in the owner(s)/management being prosecuted.

On the other hand, THE BEST places to work in the service industry are unionized hotels, hospitals, nursing homes.. where you get jon protection, vacation, benefits and more security. The downside: fewer tips but if you want to make it career, I know some people who worked at say the Westin hotel for 20+ years and have loved it.

XOXOXO KC

2010 May 31
Sure, but in the same way that there are likely a lot of restaurants side-stepping health regulations, this list puts the ones that have been reported front and center.

You're right that most likely these people don't have a jobs as a result of their complaints and that a lot of restaurants probably don't get caught because staff are too afraid to do anything. Is it possible that these situations were bad enough that staff thought about the prospect of losing their job and *still* reported them?

I'm also not entirely sure if there are any unionized restaurants in Ottawa that are not part of a hotel chain. Since I don't plan on eating in a hospital anytime soon, I'll be avoiding the repeat offenders on the list, personally.

2010 May 31
I used to work at a retirement home as a server.
I didn't receive any tips and only the full-time employees receive benefits and security. Manager tries to keep as less fulltime employees as possible...hire more disposable part-time employees.
I quit this job because I didn't get paid 3 times.
Manager was upset at me because I made complaints...wtf? I didn't receive my pay 3 times!!!
Bad Bad management!!

I work as a cook at a golf course, very good hourly rate, always paid on time, good management and working with great team...no one treat me like a crap! I am very happy now.

2010 May 31
When staff are let go and/or have nothing to lose, they can easily pursue via the labour complaints process.

Staff shouldn't be afraid if they know that they cripple and can send owners/management down the path of hell in a full blown business audit. Hell I've heard of one a bar/restaurant I worked at before their computers, records, and accounts seized by CRA. We were pretty sure it was all triggered by a fellow staff being fired on ridiculous grounds and when it's a big tip-off, auditors act pretty fast. I was gone by that time but I also heard that all staff were re-assessed on their declaration of tips!

Yup a lot of hotel chains are unionized and they are still in business decades later.

XOXO KC