how open are you... [General]

2010 May 27
with your significant other or family when it comes to not liking certain foods they make?

2010 May 27
My dad is also a foodie, and thus we constantly share constructive criticism. I still tease him about an AWFUL peanut butter Thai noodles he made years ago. That was probably the only bad meal he ever served me...

On the other hand, my mother-in-law only eats because it is necessary and is an incredibly picky eater. When she's over for dinner, I normally simplify my recipes or created an 'friendlier' version for her. Overtime, I've just accepted her unwillingness to try new ingredients and her picky taste as an inevitability and go along with it, the company is still great.

When I met my SO she has a similar philosophy but over the years has come around and is willing to try most food once. That is, ever since I forced her to try white truffles and Lobster, I've noticed a positive change in her attitude regarding 'exotic' food. As for her cooking, she simply lacks the patience and doesn't enjoy. Thus, our house whole roles pretty soon established in an 'I cook, she the dishes' pattern.

2010 May 27
My mother used to really appreciate my honesty with her cooking - and fortunately she was a really good cook so it was not much of an issue. But she was always glad to hear the 1 time out of 10 when I did not like her cooking, because (1) I always gave her constructive criticism on it, and (2) it meant that the other 9 times out of 10 I was being honest and really liked it.

This was mainly after I moved out of the house since I never really ate much while living there (see my profile for details)

My wife does not seem to appreciate my honesty as much, even if she is as good or better a cook as my mother.

2010 May 27
btw this thread stems yesterday from a friend couple fighting and the girl friend whining how she doesn't like him forcing her to eat some chicken dish she doesn't like lol

2010 May 27
Hmm good question. My boyfriend does a lot of the cooking around here (I am not the best cook, I prefer baking) and while I usually love everything he makes, I occasionally find he uses too much salt for my liking (I can't tolerate salty foods). I just let him know straight up that I'd probably like it better next time if he used less salt, and he doesn't take offense.
When I DO try to cook dinner, I often fail miserably (I made a carrot souffle once that was laughably horrible) and he ALWAYS lets me know. It doesn't bother me though, because I recognise that I'm not very good at cooking.. I just laugh it off.
Me being vegetarian and him being an omnivore is a bit of an issue sometimes. Usually we will prepare a veggie meal for me and then he will throw some meat in it afterwards for him. He never tries to force meat on me and I never try to force vegetarianism on him, so we don't argue over it. I also really appreciate that he makes an effort to find new and innovative vegetarian recipes to try.
The eating situation is pretty lax over here, I guess. :)

2010 May 27
There was only ever two things that I really cooked for family.(when i lived at home) One was chow mein, something everyone loved and they kept requesting me to make it every 3-4 days. Dad said it was the best food he's ever had. And then a spicy curry with rice, which was ok, but clearly they had issues with the spiciness of it. I love it and still make it to this day but my brother especially can be picky and they all don't like spicy food, even a bit, so I should have known that.

But now the way I do it is basically I cook for myself. If I have family over or friends, they are more than welcome to try something, and if its good, they'll request it in the future..if not, then I know not to offer it to them.