Heirloom tomato plants [General]

2010 May 19
I want to plant a couple of heirloom tomato plants in pots this summer. Anyone know where I can buy them? It is too late and I am too lazy to plant seeds! :)

2010 May 19
i have seen some nice tomato plants at the ottawa farmer's market (lansdowne). you could also check main street farmers market. the parkdale market has tons of tomato plants right now, but i didn't notice any heirloom ones. they still had a great variety - way more than you will find at somewhere like loblaws or canadian tire garden center.

there is a woman just outside of ottawa that grows and sells heirloom tomatoes. i will look for my link to her website. you have to have a car and pick up. her prices are very good.

2010 May 19
you are in luck - if you have a car. the woman i was thinking about has a huge list of tomatoes for sale and the sale is this weekend.

iwetmyplants.com/

>> I’ve set my tomato plant sale dates for Saturday, May 22 and Sunday May 23 from 9 AM to 3 PM on the Victoria Day long weekend.

I’m selling them for $3.50 each or 3 for $10.

2010 May 19
I just got some tomato plants at Pioneer Nursery in Kemptville - Chianti Rose, Persimmon, and Costoluto. I think they were $1.79 each. They have a number of other heritage varieties as well as the usual suspects (regulars are $4.29 per flat or so). They still have lots of heritage plants.
BTW the location on the map is off a bit - the nursery on Van Buren St. is maybe a couple hundred feet to the west (not east) of the end of Rideau River Road.

Editing to add that I just read this article (www.uppercanadavillage.com)in the Winchester Press about a heritage plant sale at Upper Canada Village this coming weekend - they have roses, tomatoes, potatoes, and annuals and perennials.

2010 May 19
Thank you so much everyone!! We'll be going to that plant sale with the kids this weekend.

Now, to not kill the plants... I am no gardener... :)

2010 May 19
Lots of good compost, soil and attention-water, sun, weeding...Last summer my tomatoes were low in quantity ,size, and flavour! tasting only so so - I think not enough sun and too much rain?

2010 May 20
w.c. my tomatoes suffered from the same problem last year. i am trying out some new things this year, and hopefully it will be better growing conditions outside.

2010 Jun 15
Hey awesome. I'm the I Wet My Plants person and if anyone is interested, I've still got some heirloom tomato plants available. For FREE as it's getting a little late in the season. Send me an email if you're interested in coming out to Kemptville. kkettler@gmail.com

2010 Jun 15
Caribou, please remind us all early next year if you are doing this again, and I will come by! I already have too many tomatoes on the go this year, but I'm interested in your varieties.

Will you be selling tomatoes this summer from your crop?

2010 Jun 15
Caribou... what great timing. My wife just came in and told me that we have to go to the market this weekend to pick up tomato plants, because the seedlings we have just aren't going to make it. Do you have any plants that will withstand a little bug attention? Sending you an email.

2010 Jun 16
Peter, will do. I usually post something on my blog, www.iwetmyplants.com, around February/March. I like starting the plants and never sell the fruit.

Snoopy Loopy - got it and will reply.

BTW, I'll be around Thurs., Fri. and Saturday only this weekend. I'm available after 6 PM on weekdays, but only after next Wednesday.

2012 Jun 26
I planted 122 Heirloom tomato plants on my farm this year.
Some of the varieties include:
black krim, green zebra, black zebra, super snow white, black cherry, earl of edgecombe, Italian tree, brandywine, isis candy cherry..
Not 100% sure how things will turn out as this is the first year but I will let folks know when they are ready if anyone is interested. Planning on selling them at either the Carelton place farmers market or just from the farm gate here outside of Richmond Village. If it goes well this year I'll sell plants next spring as well.

2012 Jun 27
Black Krim is probably the most delicious tomato I have ever eaten. I used to grow them when I had a large garden. When I moved to the city I tried them in pots without success. They failed to thrive. Anyone have luck with this variety in a planter?

2012 Jun 27
I got my Mom some Black cherry tomatoes seeds last year and they turned out well. She saved some seeds but unfortuantely kept it mixed with other cherry tomatoes seeds (yellow pear and red cherry from a friend originally) so she does not yet know if she had any of the black cherry ones in the seeds that survived and got planted.

I got her some purple Cherokee tomaotes seeds this year. It is supposedly a cultivar originally from the Cherokee Indians. Out of the packets, she got 8 viable plants and gave 2 to a friend and kept 6..
en.wikipedia.org
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Heard good things about Black Krim.. Maybe next year.

2012 Jun 27
Hawthorn Farm: I am very interested in Black Cherokee and the Green Zebras. Please let me know when and where you will be selling them.

2012 Jun 27
I'm a lazy foodie - I like good products but will often settle for slightly lower quality if it involves less effort - but I will travel a long way to get good tomatoes. Please keep us informed, Hawthorn Farm.

2012 Jun 27
I will definitely let everyone know, hopefully things will turn out as this is the first year I have grown from seed. Crossing my fingers though!
If this works out I will grow them again next year.

Last year I purchased some purple/black tomato plants from gemmels greenhouse in smith falls they were the best tomatoes I had ever tasted so I was hooked.

2012 Sep 18
For Poutine and Johny English, I made all my mistakes the first year's planting. The majority of my tomato field was wiped out.
I will take stock of whats left by this weekend but the season for tomatoes at my farm is wiped out.:(