Looking for Vacuum Sealer [General]

2010 May 17
Hey foodies,

Anybody out there recommend any particular brand/model of vacuum sealer? I'm looking for a good one! :)

Thanks!
b0dhi

2010 May 17
Food Saver is the defacto standard. There is a huge selection of them with various features. They used to have a big matrix on their website to let you compare model numbers. The biggest difference that I recall is that some of them have the jar sealer port for the jar attachment, and some do not. I highly recommend it, personally. There are also features like "automatic seal" and stuff like that. I have manual.

Some of the later models are designed with the huge flap down the front which best I can tell was simply designed to make you waste more bag material and thereby boost their profit margins. Pretty disgusting move if you ask me.

You can get good deals on Food Saver at Costco, and various other places like Home Sense and Wal Mart. Compare model numbers and prices because there is not always one best place to go for best price.

Preston Hardware has them as well, and also has a couple of really heavy duty commercial grade Italian made ones (forget the brand name) that are really nice, but pricey of course. But my food saver does a fantastic job and I have no complaints at all.

2010 May 18
Thanks for the response Zymurgist! I will go check out the Food Saver sealers :)

2010 May 18
BTW, some models come with the Food-Saver brand jars, and honestly I would not prioritize that. I have the jars and almost never use them. What is far more useful is the attachment to let you seal regular mason jars. That, I use all the time.

2011 Apr 16
Cabelas has a Foodsaver unit for 70% off. They ship to Canada.

www.cabelas.com

2011 Apr 17
Its not my ad but I did notice this: ottawa.kijiji.ca