breastfeeding [General]

2010 May 13
50 reasons, any time, anywhere

www.phdinparenting.com

2010 May 13
Amen!!
Until I had a baby of my own I didn't get this. But now I can say I totally agree with the blog.

2010 May 14
One could argue that it's also a great way to introduce a baby to a variety of flavours, as the flavour of what the nursing mother eats is transmitted through the milk. Could be the first step in creating a generation of future foodies! ;)

2010 May 14
Sure, breastfeeding is a wonderful gift for babies, but I don't think it is anytime anywhere activity for me...I believe breastfeeding is very special bonding experience between mom and baby, and If I breastfeed my baby,I personally appreciate privacy and SAFE environment.
When I saw a young mom openly breastfeeding her baby at food court, I witnessed many men stared at her...chuckling with kind of dirty look.

Anytime and anywhere breastfeeding is human rights for any mom and babies,I understand that, but there are men in this world too. Don't take me wrong I am not accusing men,I am trying to make a point that men shouldn't be left behind...We should consider and RESPECT what men think about breastfeeding in public too.
So male foodies, what do you think about breastfeeding anytime anywhere?

2010 May 14
We do it any time any where. Luckily we *usually* have things planned out so that the timing works, but if it doesn't, then oh well, breastfeeding time it is.

2010 May 14
As a guy, I don't care where it happens. If guys are staring and chuckling, I think this says a lot more about them as 'men'. It should be a mother's choice to do this where/how she pleases.

2010 May 14
i'm european, i dont see anything wrong with it.

2010 May 14
iheartsamosa, what does that even mean?? european, therefore no issue with topless women? or no issue with a child's right to eat? or do you assume that in europe women breastfeed where ever without issue?

i see Icecream's point: if a mother seeks privacy because it makes her feel comfortable, then great. that should be respected. on the other hand, society should also respect the fact that when a baby is hungry, it should be allowed to eat. i don't ask you to eat with a blanket over your head, even if you aren't using cutlery.

on the other hand, i suspect that this isn't just a male-female issue. based on personal experience, i have seen women ask mothers to cover up as much as i have men.

2010 May 14
ladywhobrunches, all of the above. i don't assume for most part since I've seen it with my own eyes (for example in france, its done out in the open and nothing is made out of it) But in France they also whip out their alcholol in the park while they have picnics because its allowed there. People tend to be much less anal about these things over there.

2010 May 14
I can think of few situations where breast feeding would be inappropriate. While driving perhaps or cooking or a formal gala. Beyond that, absolutely no problem. If immature men are chuckling at this, that is be no means a reflection of the general y-chromosome opinion.

2010 May 14
okay, so instead you're just making a generalization about the french, rather than all europeans.

because, to be honest, i've seen german women tell mothers to cover up and i have seen british and spanish mothers covering up, which as phd in parenting notes, is patronizing.

i don't think it's only a north american issue at all, even if you have never seen a woman in france cover up.

2010 May 14
Having lived in Europe 3 years, I know what was meant by "I am European". Just a general non-prudiness with nudity. I've experienced the prudiness when my GF of the time came to visit in Canada - once we were at the university swimming pool kissing got told by the lifeguard to cut it out. I remember watching a New Year's Eve show on TV one time with her 12 year old male cousin, and the show had a big chorus line of topless women dancing. It was just "normal". The same 12 year old was enjoying champagne as well. Served to him by his parents.

2010 May 14
well i'm not from france, my area is the same way. i'm not trying to generalize but in general we just make issue with many things that people in europe(for most part) don't care about.

2010 May 14
yeah, zymurgist gets it.

2010 May 14
The blog author has responded to one of the comments from this forum on her blog:

www.phdinparenting.com

FWIW, I agree.

To anyone uncomfortable about seeing a mother nursing in public, I ask that you question yourself on what precisely it is about it that makes you feel uncomfortable. OMG, naked booby?

You might want to follow it up with asking yourself how that becomes the mother's problem and not yours.

2010 May 14
refashionista:
I am trying to recall what was my feeling when I saw breastfeeding mom at the food court...first, I was just so surprised to see this mom pulled her "entire" breast out...Well,there is a cultural difference,I am neither North American nor European woman. In my country,nursing rooms are provided in public, such as shopping malls and restaurants...and men are not allowed to enter.
You know, I was not uncomfortable about "seeing a mother nursing in public"...however, I felt very uneasy, uncomfortable when some men stared at this mom as a sexual object. It was obvious, and I didn't like to witness some men had no respect for nursing mom, and I hate to see mom being vulnerable... I really didn't like that, not the naked body itself...And I didn't like the fact that I didn't know what to do. What do you do if you are in this kinda situation when you are all by yourself? Can you keep yourself strong and tell them to back off? I don't think I can be that strong, this is why I seek privacy and safety. I don't want to put myself in that kind of situation.

Take good care!! :)

2010 May 14
Aisu Kurimu,

there are a handful of nursing rooms in Ottawa, in public places. (Ikea comes to mind). That said, the friction between those who believe that women should have to cover up and those who believe that women have the right to feed their children is made even more evident by these rooms.

While working at Ikea, I offered the nursing room to a woman who was feeding and did so in a very diplomatic manner. She refused my offer (she was almost done), but I was then accosted by another woman who felt offended that I should "even suggest that the mother go elsewhere".

I guess my point is that the stigma works both ways, whether you believe strongly on one side of the fence or the other.

2010 May 14
I think the nursing rooms are still important for those women who may not feel comfortable nursing anywhere in public. Nothing wrong with that at all.

2010 May 14
The two forces in conflict are:

* Breastfeeding a baby is completely natural, and our society fully endorses people eating in public. Ergo, babies should be allowed to eat in public.
* Breasts are highly sexual -- perhaps the most sexual body part -- in our culture.

You can't change either one, which is why there's so much disagreement. Those who think one carries more weight than the other will never meet in the middle.

Breastfeeding is completely natural and breasts are hot. What confuses me is when I ask is breastfeeding hot? ;-)

2010 May 14
I think nursing rooms are great for moms who feel they need the privacy or have easily distracted babies who require the quiet. First-time moms, in particular, may lack the confidence (or coordination!) to nurse in public and having a space designated for their convenience is wonderful.

I don't feel the need for that privacy, though. Just because there is a room available doesn't mean I'm required to use it. Sure, some guy might try and take a gawk at my breast, but that's not my problem. I certainly don't feel vulnerable nursing in public. I figure that if I hide away to nurse my baby, I'm only furthering the idea that there is something wrong with breasts being used for a purpose other than sexual gratification.

I've fielded a few comments about how I should go to the washroom to nurse, etc., and have no problem telling people that when they start eating in the public (filthy) washrooms my baby will too. Most people back off the minute you stand up for yourself.

Honestly, breastfeeding cannot become normalized again in society *without* more women nursing in public and making it a non-issue.

2010 May 14
I wasn't saying there's something wrong with nursing rooms. I'm saying that the stigma surrounding breasts and breastfeeding is so large that nursing rooms have become an issue.

2010 May 14
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with nursing rooms, either. ;)

Though, having been on the receiving end of "go nurse somewhere else" comments, I can understand how some women might jump to conclusions when politely offered a place to go. ;)

2010 May 14
lwb: Interesting story, thank you for sharing. I found this news article, very timely.
ottawa.ctv.ca

I don't see anything wrong with breastfeeding in public. My point was, "public" means you don't know who is out there. Majority of ppl are decent folks, but sadly, there is ALWAYS "perverts" in our society.
Normalization of breastfeeding, it would be wonderful, but even normaraization comes to our society, it doesn't mean it is safe to breastfeed in public.

I also didn't mean to cause men vs women debate regarding breastfeeding, because perverts are not only men, of course.

I am very alart in public, because I had too many bad experiences and I was traumatized...I was chased by flasher, I was almost abducted by perverts when I was a kid, I was stalked by strangers who saw me in public and they found out where I lived, they left notes at the door step, made annoying phone calls many times, I didn't even know who they were, but they were watching me. I was scared to death...

2010 May 19
If you are offended by seeing a mother nurse (whether she pulls out just a little bit of breast or the "entire" thing) put a cover over your damn head. Or you can go eat in the nursing room.

2010 May 21
AK - "it doesn't mean it is safe to breastfeed in public" this is not the woman's problem, it is the problem of whoever makes it unsafe. People shouldn't be expected to alter their totally fine lives because some people might react violently.

It's equally unsafe to be a woman going to a show in the market at night.
It's equally unsafe to drive a car (actually more so)

I just see this argument as a total aside tot he actual issue.