OF GTG? [General]

2010 May 11
Ottawa Foodies get-together? I know there was talk of this earlier on but it was canned due to a variety of reason, or at least so I think... unless you had one and didn't invite me :)

Anyway, have we given thought to having one this year? The one last year was quite enjoyable.

I don't know how to set up voting/I'm way to busy to organize, but yeah... discuss? :)

2010 May 11
Um, I was sort of trying to organize, and it got lost in the shuffle of the end of a job, a semester, and the start of a honeymoon.

As for the survey, the sixteen people who answered said that May 15/16 weekend was good for them (to which, I look at the calendar and say: HA!), or the weekend of the 12/13 of June, but that was the latest in the month that I took the date choices to.

We could plan for late June, say the 19th or 20th? Or later?

Do people like the survey system? Or do you all find me completely anal-retentive for using it?

The other thing is location, because holy crap, I think we overwhelmed Pam a bit last time (plus, she's traveling right now, so it'll be hard to plan). We could do it at one of the parks, in Ottawa or Gatineau for that matter. Preferably with a BBQ, although there was more than enough non-BBQ food last time.

2010 May 11
I am still keen for a get together. (Mind you I usually stay in Ottawa during the summer months and travel during the off season so my plans are usually very flexible.) lady who brunches I think the survey system is great for narrowing dates - it's not anal-retentive at all! And I definitely love the idea of having it in a park.

2010 May 11
Survey system is great. I wish I could offer my place, but I don't have any facilities.

2010 May 11
Where I come from... facilities normally refers to a bathroom... if so... poor you!

2010 May 11
*Snicker* I think Jagash meant more along the lines of a party space.

Facilities, I have. Just not enough space for the lot of you.

2010 May 11
Poor wording on my part, but Lady who brunches is correct. I lack the physical space (and BBQ) to offer myself. If all else fails, I believe that there was a proposal for Brittania last time until Pam offered. Might be worth a shot.

2010 May 11
"We could do it at one of the parks, in Ottawa or Gatineau"

I may be down for that. Gatineau park has has a few large picnic areas, free parking, etc.

2010 May 11
Foodie picnic on Bates island, middle of the Chaplain Bridge in between Gatineau and Ottawa?

2010 May 11
Very tempting for me; within walking distance of my appartment.

2010 May 11
Bates island sounds very nice.

2010 May 12
That sounds like a great space. Who is responsible for it? Do we need a permit? (Also, we would have to be wary of booze)

2010 May 12
Here is my advice on organising something like this - based on experience trying to coordinate get-togethers with the local brewers. You are never, ever, ever going to get a consensus on when is the right time and where is the right place. So forget about some big all-singing, all-dancing event.

You are probably better off organising smaller events, but more frequently. You just need one person to do the legwork and provide a venue. Basically someone just needs to put their foot down and say "OK, here is where and when we'll meet". Done. Then anyone who can make it, will come. Or, you'll find out very quickly that next to nobody can make that time, so you try again with a different time. Then a month or two later, let someone else do the same. There will be different crowds each time. EVents will be more managable. It will still be a lot of fun.

Maybe once a year still shoot for the big all-singing, all-dancing event.

2010 May 12
Zym, we did an all-singing, all-dancing event, and aside from Momomoto being sick and you being...recently back from travelling?... the turn out was wonderful. I think we were hoping for something similar this time around.

On that note:

Does anyone have a huge problem with the weekend of June 19th? That would give us a month to organize the rest of it.

2010 May 12
lady who brunches sounds good to me!

2010 May 12
Yes, I know LWB, but that was a full year ago and it was the only event was it not? Which fits what I said about 1 big one a year :-)

I think it is easy enough to have more frequent events if people want, that's all I'm saying. Like the wine tastings that used to happen, for example. Someone just used to say "OK, here is the time and place - come if you like". It's actually pretty easy to do.

2010 May 12
p.s. I mentioned it because there seem to have been several failed attempts at another one. That's all. At least by my recollection.

2010 May 12
I wouldn't say failed, quite so much as halfassed. It's easier to organize something big in the summer, when people aren't hibernating and when the outdoors is an option as our host. I think there was mention of a winter one, but we all decided that none of us have a place big enough for thirty people.

I take your point, but more in theory than as a representation of how things went in the past. /endrant

2010 May 12
If you have more smaller ones you don't need a place big enough for 30 people :-)

/flog_dead_horse

2010 Jun 3
Right, so now it's June, and we have a forum topic *dedicated* to our best foods.

For the sake of wrangling y'all, I'm proposing either June 19th or the 27th. The 19th is the Taste of Wellington West, which I will be wanting to attend, but it's over at 3. It just means that there will be some serious food coma.

Anyway, there's another survey, only three questions long and built on the assumption that we will be able to get at least a handful (dozen?) of us out for one of those two days:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/D2P3ZRZ

2010 Jun 3
You should include a "Both" option for those who are available either day.

2010 Jun 3
doh. fixed.

Also, bear in mind that Bate Island lacks what Pam's place offered us last year: A BBQ.

2010 Jun 3
I already answered the survey before the "both" option was added. So as an ammendment to my original response - I am available both weekends.

2010 Jun 3
Weren't there two BBQ's at Pam's last year? :)

2010 Jun 3
There were two barbecues, but only one event. I'm not sure if you mean the barbecue as in the appliance, or the event.

2010 Jun 3
Oh my bad... I totally misread what you wrote. You said "Also, bear in mind that Bate Island lacks what Pam's place offered us last year: A BBQ."

I *thought* you said, "Also, bear in mind that Bate Island *offers* what Pam's place lacked last year: A BBQ."

I'm tired :)

2010 Jun 3
When you're going through the answers, mine's the one with all the frowny faces, since I'm busy both weekends :( :( :(