Bon Appetite Reviews? [General]

2010 May 7
Hi All, I wasn't able to get to Bon Appetite this year. Tickets were sold out. Sooo, any reviews? What was good/not so good? Any vendors stand out?

Just curious since I usually get to go and was disappointed this year.

2010 May 8
It was very similar to last year's in terms of the crowds (thick, but not overwhelming) and the lineup of vendors. There were some improvements, too - more emphasis on recycling, and replacement of those icky plastic drink receptacles with real wine glasses. I also appreciated the fact that they toned down the volume of the live music this year - in the past, it was sometimes so ear-splitting that it was hard to carry on a conversation. Lots of volunteers buzzing around doing cleanup chores... all in all, a very well run affair.

Ron Eade covered the food side of things well in his blog (communities.canada.com). As usual, he found quite a few goodies that I missed... sigh. A couple that he highlighted that I did try, and were truly delish, were the offerings from Les Fougeres and Tulips & Maple Catering. And I always go for the mushroom concoction served up by Prime 360, a show tradition that goes way back to when they were Noah's. One item that I wasn't enthused about was the sushi/spring roll combo from Kinki... meh. Seemed like it was prepared long, long before the show started.

There was a decent selection of beverages available, too. As usual, I stuck to wine... I was impressed with the Huff 07 South Bay Chardonnay, and Huff had some nice reds too... alas, their Riesling was a dud. Rosehall Run and Sandbanks also had some good offerings, so Prince Edward Country was well represented. One other better-than-average wine that comes to mind was a very nice Dopff & Irion Gewurztraminer.

So, Bon Appetit continues to be a highlight on the Ottawa foodie calendar. See ya there next year!

2010 May 8
Thanks for the detailed review. Wish I was there... I am so glad they chose to replace the plastic with glass for the wine.

I'll read the blog too.
Again thanks, cheers!!