It's Cinco de Mayo, foodies! [Cooking]

2010 May 5
Good day everybody!

I'm always looking for a reason to have a dinner party in the middle of the week. With the Sens bowing out of the playoffs, our hockey-themed parties have gone the way of the Dodo and our apartment has been rather quiet for the past two weeks.

Enter Cinco de Mayo.

I spent a "small" portion of my morning surfing web sites to come up with the perfect treat for tonight.

Here's what I'm going with:
www.epicurious.com

There are a few ingredients on there that I've never worked with, like tomatillos and buttermilk. And I've never fried fish in oil on the stove top. But I'm hopeful that it will turn into a successful meal.

I'm thinking Mexican beer or Sangria might be nicely paired with this.

Anyone else going Mexican tonight? If so, what do you plan to serve?

And if you have any tips for me re: the recipe, please share! :)

Cheers!

2010 May 5
<3 fish tacos

not doing anything Messican tonight but i do a LOT of tacos, burritos, enchiladas ---->

if you're looking for something really easy for a party try a ceviche served on tostadas (they sell Charras brand at a lot of grocery stores now). works well as an appetizer served with corn chips too.

as for tips re: the recipe, if you want to save time omit the 'pickled red onion/jalapeno', and even the tomatillo salsa, and sub out for a simple pico de gallo. the fish is "taking the lead" so all you really need is tortilla, fish, pico, and maybe some of that lime sour cream sauce.

here's the recipe i use - adjust as needed

Pico
2 cups diced tomatoes
½ cup diced white onion
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 ½ tablespoons stemmed, seeded, and minced jalapeño
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
½ teaspoon salt

2010 May 5
+1 for fish tacos, ceviche is dead easy, black bean soup, or pozole rojo is quite easy as well...

2010 May 5
hey chim do you have a go-to recipe for pozole? i bought some GOYA Hominy at Food Basics awhile back and have yet to use it.

2010 May 5
Not sure how authentically Mexican this is but this soup tastes good-;)

Black Bean and Corn Soup

Serves 6

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 sweet green pepper, diced
1 large stalk celery, diced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 can (19 oz.) tomatoes, chopped
1 can (19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn niblets (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 cup diced smoked sausage, such as kielbasa or smoked ham (optional)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander or parsley

1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, pepper, celery, oregano, cumin, thyme and cayenne pepper; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.

2. Add stock and tomatoes with juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

3. Stir in beans, corn and sausage, if using. Cook 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender. Stir in coriander; ladle into warm bowls.

2010 May 5
Or if you are in the mood for a chilled soup:

Black Bean Gazpacho

3 cups chopped, peeled, and seeded tomatoes
1 x 12 oz can hot-style vegetable juice cocktail*
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
1 x 15 oz can black beans or garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
½ cup chopped seeded cucumber, yellow summer squash, and/or zucchini
½ cup chopped green or yellow sweet pepper
¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
2 tbsp. Italian salad dressing
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)

In a large mixing bowl combine tomatoes, juice, ham, beans, cucmber or squash, chopped pepper, green onion, and dressing. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours. If desired, servie with bottled hot pepper sauce.

Makes 4 main-dish servings.

*Note: If you’re not so hot about hot and spicy food, you can use regular vegetable juice cocktail, or event the reduced-sodium version.

2010 May 5
That fish taco plater looks amazing. Love halibut. I made a watermelon margarita inspired by a comment from Snoopy Loopy in the "favorite drink" forum. I'm addicted to that.

Maybe a margarita flavoured dessert?... thinking margarita shortcake? am I crazy? Drizzle triple sec on some regular sponge cake (or whatever biscuit you like to use), topped with strawberry's stewed and flamed in tequila (perhaps last minute for the heat, ...and drama :o) ), top with whipped cream flavoured with lime zest. Maybe served in a salt rimmed heatprove glass bowl?...

2010 May 5
Monty - I sort of do, though I rarely use a recipe when I make it. It involved pureed ancho, onion & garlic and a chicken carcass (strip a roasted chicken from the grocery store for quick & easy, reserving the meat to garnish the soup) for the stock, mexican oregano, hominy... Garnish with chicken, avocado, thinly sliced radish, thinly sliced raw onion, fried tortilla strips. It's one of my favourite soups.

2010 May 9
hey señorita - what did you end up making? ;)

2010 May 27
I ended up making fish tacos -- and my, what a good decision that was.
I found the recipe at Epicurious and proceeded to Zellers, where I purchased a blender so I could make the salsa verde. And thanks to the latin grocery store on Somerset, I was able to find all of the ingredients.

The guests were pleased! And I served mojitos, too. I know I am responding to this thread about a month too late, but the meal is forever etched into my mind as my proudest culinary accomplishment.

Thanks for all your responses, guys. I'll definitely be trying a few of those recipes out.

Hasta luego!

Recipe here:
www.epicurious.com