Manila Supermarket [Food/Vendor]

2010 May 1
The Geeland Baggio(sp?)store closed on Carling avenue quite a number of months ago. It was a shame because there was a good Filipino take out restaurant located in the store.

I noticed a few weeks back that a Filipino supermarket (not entirely sure of the name) has re-opened there along with a Filipino restaurant. I haven't had a chance to go in yet, so I'm not sure if the restaurant is run by the same people. Hopefully it is because the food was very good and I only know of one other Filipino restaurant (Manila Hut) in the city.

Has anyone been in here yet?

2010 May 1
Pan - its called Manilla's Best.

New owners (i think?), but same concept as before -- small cafeteria styled eat-in/take-away. I had some veggie rolls (lumpia): brimming w/ a medley of veggies on the inside and sinfully greasy on the outside ... not likely to make Pej Daddy's heart-smart list, but i found them quite tasty.

Beyond rolls, also on offer were pancit (noodles), a couple savory-looking stews and grilled fish (tilapia). Didn't see it, but i'm 100% certain a huge pot of rice sat somewhere close-by.

The store itself shares much of the inventory of its predecessor. Not much in the way of fresh veggies -- don't think they're setting themselves up to compete w/ Produce Depot (across the street). Focus is on the items you'd expect in a Filipino store: dried Cebu mangoes, halo-halo mixes, coated peanuts, pancit / noodles, dried and frozen fish / seafood and sweets ... and international calling cards (hehe).

They've cleaned / brightened the store up, the shelves nicely arranged and the staff are welcoming. Hope they do well: the growing number of Filipino nannies one sees bustling around Westboro probably deserve a tidy little grocery like this.

2010 May 1
itchy feet thanks for the lowdown

this is in my neck of the woods and i've been meaning to check them out. stoked on the takeaway.

2010 May 3
Has anyone eaten at Manilla Hut? I don't eat there and I'm Filipino. Reason being...the cook or "chef" is disgusting. I've had the pleasure of eating there when the chef was away (lucky for me). Maybe they got rid of him. I'm curious what people ate and what they like.

My part of the country, our food is partly Spanish type food. But many other districts are WAY spicy for my liking.

2010 May 3
monkey feet - elaborate on "disgusting" for me...

2010 May 4
Thanks for the feedback itchy feet! I'll have to go in and see if it's the same guy cooking. I think the restaurant was separate from the store ownership, but I'm not sure.

As for Manila Hut, I live right around the corner from it. I've been tempted to try it but I never see anyone in the restaurant. Now with Monkey feet's comment, I'm not so sure....

2010 May 4
Monty / Pan... to me disgusting would be a cook or "chef" with long, greasy hair that may or may NOT wear a hat or hairnet. A shady character that may be under the influence of something while cooking. Sure, many cooks can fit this description. But I was taught to always be clean and well maintained.

My cousin knows him and I was around him when they chatted. His personality may not have anything to do with cooking, but the things he does on his own time makes me not want to eat his food. If I seem too harsh, I apologize. But that's my opinion.

But again, maybe they have changed the "chef". Maybe it's better. but I'll pass anyway. But apparently the new restaurant on Carling IS actually good.

PAN BAGNET, I can inquire if they have a new chef. I don't want to keep you from trying their food.