how do i cut chocolate? [Cooking]

2010 Apr 28
i have a baking question. i have a large block of callebaut chocolate. i only need 2 oz to make a recipe for brownies. how do i cut the chocolate for a recipe?

i had the chocolate for cupcakes on the weekend and i just hacked away at it until i got the amount i needed. it made a big mess and was really hard to do. what is the proper technique? i don't normally work with chocolate and don't usually buy such large blocks, but it was on sale so i couldn't pass it up.

2010 Apr 28
I use a sharp serrated knife and take small slices--it crumbles that way, and it's lots better than getting a chef's knife stuck in a big block. I then use a chef's knife if I need it in smaller bits.

There is a 'chocolate chipper' out there--looks like a giant fork. I've never felt the need for one!

www.tag8.com/chch.html

2010 Apr 28
If I don't need chunks, I will grate it. I've also used my heavy knife to cut off bigger pieces. It needs a strong heavy blade to work well. I've seen a specialized tool for cutting up chocolate that looks like a large fork, but don't own one. I wonder, if you have a carving fork with heavy tines, that may work.

I too would like to know if there is another way to avoid the flying bits of chocolate.

2010 Apr 29
With a grater, or an ice pick...there's just something rustic feeling about 'flaking off' some chocolate or parmesan with an ice pick.

2010 Apr 29
i don't have an ice pick, though the image of going at a block of chocolate with ice pick in hand is a good one.

do you just use a regular cheese grater? does it take a long time? i have one heavy duty wusthof chef's knife. i tried the massive chinese cleaver we have, but it was too big to control.

2010 Apr 29
What about a chocolate shaver?

I just use either the icepick (knife) or grater method, though.

2010 Apr 29
My partner uses a chocolate chipper - she does a lot of baking. Otherwise, the big cheap chef's knife comes out!

2010 Apr 29
Yes, just a regular cheese grater as long as it's not too fine. Cooled chocolate as well...you could use a couple different sides of a good box grater and see what you prefer...grated or shaved. Shaved curls are probably easier to work with...or at least they look cool, if nothing else.

2010 Apr 29
I chop chocolate (Callebaut - oh so good!, Ibarra discs, etc) using a small thin cutting board set in a 9" baking pan (to contain the mess, hff) using a small fork - a dessert fork (the shortest strongest one of the assorted ones in our drawer). The pan helps to contain the mess, the fork cuts the chocolate into small sheets and then if desired, into cubes to replace chips. Rarely do I buy Baker's (unsweetened) but it works for that too.

2010 Apr 30
oyster shucker would work instead of ice pick