how to use peri-peri sauce [General]

2010 Apr 20
does anyone use peri-peri sauce? i found a jar of it in the depths of the fridge. i think we opened it to taste it and then forgot about it. i don't eat meat, but maybe it could be used on tofu? or do people use it on veggies? the label doesn't say much, i think it was a homemade sauce bought at a farmer's market.

thanks.

2010 Apr 20
Peri-peri sauce is just a hot sauce and can be used as a condiment or added to soups and stews or sauces as you would any other hot sauce. I don't think it matters if you use it for meat or veggies. Good luck!

2010 Apr 20
We absolutely love this recipe for Portuguese grilled chicken (you might have noticed it in the title art on this site). The 1 tsp of Piri-Piri sauce makes it very mild and kid-friendly. You could dump in a couple tablespoons if you like heat!

Piri Piri Chicken

1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded
3 cloves Garlic
2 tbsp Olive oil
1/4 cup Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Cider vinegar
1 tbsp Paprika
1 tsp Hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Salt to taste
3 lb Chicken pieces, bone in

Combine jalapeño and garlic in a mini chopper or food processor.
Add olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, paprika, and hot pepper sauce and purée until smooth.
Salt chicken pieces then toss in marinade until completely coated. Make sure some gets under the skin. Cover and marinate for 12 hours, turning occasionally. Remove chicken from marinade.
Preheat grill to medium. Grill chicken for 20 minutes, turning frequently until juices run clear. Baste frequently with marinade and avoid burning the chicken.
Serve with orange sections, sliced onions, and olives.
This is a traditional churrasco chicken. It is best if the chicken skin is left on.

Source: The Globe & Mail (Lucy Waverman)

2010 Apr 20
thanks. that is what i thought. i was confused because it is not a typical hot sauce container (instead it is in a short jar). i noticed in small print it says great for french fries, hot dogs and bbq meats.

EDIT: when i posted, i see that fresh foodie posted a recipe at the same time. i will definitely pass that onto my husband. it sounds like just the thing for him and his father (with lots of peri-peri).

2010 Apr 20
Looking at the recipe HHF, I think you could easily translate it to grilled tofu. Or even a piri piri tofu stir fry!

2010 Apr 20
i have all the ingredients for that recipe and some frozen tofu (takes on more sauce if you freeze it and thaw it). i will try it with tofu and let my husband try it with chicken.

silly question, but FF what type of olives do you use?

2010 Apr 20
Frozen tofu is delicious! It's a delicacy in Beijing. I especially like it in hot pots. The only problem I have with it, is that the colour can be offputting to some.

On another note HFF, I didn't see anything in the recipe that called for olives... only olive oil? Correct me if my eyesight is failing me :)

2010 Apr 20
at the bottom under serving directions:

'Serve with orange sections, sliced onions, and olives. '

not sure i would worry too much about it for just us, but am curious what type of olives it should be served with. any excuse to go olive shopping is a good one.

2010 Apr 20
Good question! We usually don't bother serving with olives, but you can see in this photo that there's a green one and a kalamata one. Go with whatever you like!

2010 Apr 20
Thank you for this posting. I actually bought a bottle of this recently. Mistakenly I had thought it was another sauce I had sampled.

Will try your recipe Fresh foodie!

2010 Apr 25
Hello hipfunky! My Portuguese friend makes a great shrimp recipe with this sauce that has become a big hit at her parties! She advises you cook the shrimp in two batches, otherwise they will release too much water and dilute the sauce.

Maria's Portuguese Shrimp

1/2 C butter
1/4 C olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp piri-piri or other hot pepper sauce
454 g bag of shrimp, unpeeled
1 tsp paprika
sea salt to taste

Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and piri-piri sauce and fry for a minute or two. Add half the shrimp and half of the paprika and salt. Fry, stirring often, until the shrimp are pink, five minutes or so. Set the cooked shrimp aside on a serving plate, but leave the sauce behind in the pan. Add the rest of the shrimp, paprika and salt, and cook the second batch. Add the remaining shrimp and sauce to the serving plate and eat with crusty bread.

2010 Apr 26
Thanks Pingu - this looked tasty and superfast when I read it and that fit the bill for tonight's supper...yum! It took longer to remove the shells from the shrimp than to make this. Very good on rice with some pureed beets with ground coriander from the freezer. Such colours and flavours on our plates!
I hesitate to call it Portugese Shrimp though - my garlic was Spanish Roja (my own), the hot sauce was Matouk's West Indian, the paprika was smoked Spanish, but hey, the sea salt was Portugese!
Thanks for posting the recipe.