Soybutter- peanut butter substitute [Food/Vendor]

2010 Apr 19
Wow- I just picked up a sample of this at soybutter at Metro by Island Park (free at the check out)-Amazing, tastes exactly like peanut butter. I am quite impressed. Nutritionally speaking, not all that different from regular fat peanut butter- so still a fair amount of fat.

I don't have kids but some of my classmates with children have enlightened me on the no more PBJ in schools.

This stuff creates hope. Not sure if it would be the same for making peanut butter cookies though.

www.soybutter.com

2010 Apr 19
I picked up one of those yesterday and we sent my son to school today with it. We explained to him first what it was, and wrote on the bag that it was not peanut butter and was soy butter. He did the taste test first and it meets his approval.

Our school is not nut free (thankfully), but one of my son's friends is allergic and sits in a special area, and any kids with certain foods are not allowed to sit there. My son likes to sit with his friend so this is a boon for him. I did not check the price of the full product though - I hope it is similarly priced.

2010 Apr 19
I have to say that I was disconcerted by the addition of cane sugar. The Peanut butter he normally loves is nothing but peanuts - I'm not sure I want to get him used to sweet/salty "peanut butter" with additives.

2010 Apr 19
Yes, it does have a sweet twang to it like commercial peanut butters. I guess it's a bit of a start.

2010 Apr 19
We had him on almond butter for a long time and then suddenly he said he did not like it anymore. And some schools still veto it as well.

2010 Apr 19
The almond butter was mistaken for peanut butter at school (I'd forgotten to label it that day) and he couldn't eat with his allergic friend. It soured him on it, though he still likes it fine flavourwise.

FWIW, the Soynut "peanut butter" was a huge hit. He talked about it most of the way home and has requested we pick some up to use in his lunches. I'm willing to do it for awhile if it means he'll eat his lunch! ;)

2010 Apr 19
Maybe time to try him back on the almond butter to see if we can sneak it in there by proxy or something :-) I also don't like the idea of sweetened nut butters.

2010 Apr 19
There are several brands of soynut butters available--I have not been able to find unsweetened. Some however, have icing sugar and they are all more expensive than peanutbutter (but comparable to almond butter). Just a note-soy is also a very common allergen. Another alternative is "sun" nut butter, made from sunflower seeds. In some schools/classes no seed/soy/peanut/sesame (tahini) or nut butters are allowed. As a parent of a child with severe food allergies I really appreciate it when people make an effort to accomodate her needs (she is an adult now but never outgrew those allergies)

2010 Apr 20
Our school is great in that they treat allergies on a class-by-class basis w/re to "snacks". Lunch is eaten in a cafeteria, so there's no real ban on anything - allergic kids go to "lunch club" in another area and get to pick a friend to go with them, as long as that child's lunch doesn't contain any problem foods.

As our youngest is good friends with a peanut-allergic child, we try to accommodate "lunch club" allergies in his lunch options. He's often chosen to go along as the special friend and is very upset when his lunch prevents him.

We've tried sunflower and pumpkin seeds butters here and they went over like a lead balloon. ;) This soynut butter really looks and smells like peanut butter, though, so I'm making sure to label it really well! I think it would quite easily fool me!

This is the product: www.soybutter.com

All that aside, though, I don't like the boys having too much soy-based food in their diet. The research on the effects of soy on boys is mixed and quite polarized.

2010 Apr 20
i've been very curious about the effects of soy on boys, but haven't done much reading.

with the soy, i sampled roasted soy nuts on the weekend and they tasted exactly like peanuts. i wonder if you could roast them yourself and grind for a sugar-free version? even if you did add sugar, at least you could control the type and amount.

2010 Apr 20
I've actually been wondering about home roasting them myself and doing just that. Have too many other projects on the go before the baby arrives, though, to experiment with it right now. ;)

With regards to soy/boys, the big concern is the potential long term effect of phytoestrogens on their developing systems. There's a pretty vocal opposition to soy for boys, but at the same time the argument that other cultures have been consuming large amounts of soy for ages with no ill effects. The gray area folks seem to focus on the way/forms in which North Americans consume soy being vastly different from their counterparts. It's interesting to read, scary to contemplate.

2010 Apr 20
i have no idea how the roasted soy nuts would grind, they were a lot drier than peanuts. i think oil would have to be added.

re: soy. i have heard the concerns about the phytoestrogens. isn't this also an issue with breast cancer? i honestly can't remember, but seem to recall a link. i wonder if the problem with soy is a north american thing and due to our processing of it. all those meat-free alternatives made to look like meat. mother jones magazine has had a series of articles on neurotoxins in veggie burgers and one point made was that the toxin in question - hexane - is used in some tofu and tempeh products. this is a nasty thing. regular, full fat soy is fine, but anything labelled low-fat uses hexane to extract the soy.

here are the articles if you are interested:
original:
motherjones.com

follow-up a few days later:
motherjones.com

i would say i find it all interesting reading, but not too concerning since we seldom eat these products - prefer legumes, regular tofu, etc. my son used to be keen on tofu, but has become picky about it. won't eat veggie dogs or veggie burgers (in the 2.5 and being picky stage of life).

2010 Apr 20
We do eat a certain amount of more processed soy products, but not enough at this point where I consider there to be any substantial "risk" to any of us. The theoretical effect on the development of the young male does give me caution, though. What I have read certainly seems to point the finger directly at the overly-processed North American diet - soy in it's many forms is present in so many foods, vegetarian and otherwise.

2010 Apr 21
I have done a fair bit of research re. this issue and will share it as soon as I have time available to do so. For the next month I can't expand due to personal projects/deadlines, etc., but I will say this...processed soy (or other processed foods) is/are not a great food and should be used in moderation-like alot of foods we consume. Occasional soynut butter should be fine, for boys and girls alike. If possible, use non GMO and rotate foods when possible. Don't get hung up on this particular food-any food can be an issue!