Chimichurri Sauce Recipe [General]

2010 Mar 27
Now that it is slowly becoming grilling season, I want to try and do a churrascaria-style BBQ one of these days. Unfortunately, I have never been to SAmerica or a churrascaria at all so my knowledge is limited to my imagination and what I have read and seen on TV, which isn't a lot...although I am sure I'll love it.

Anyone have any input on the right sauces and seasonings to consider generally? I regularly make a simple chimichurri style sauce of blended parsley, garlic, vinegar and olive oil, but i am wondering what is the true way to make a good one. Chopped herbs or blended? Just parsley? Right vinegar? Any other thoughts would be appreciated...thanks!

2010 Mar 27
I've had excellent Chimichurri sauce in the past at a couple of Argentinian steak joints in the Caribbean. Haven't tried making it myself though.

Personally, if I can't get a specific recipe suggestion from a friend, I usually default to Conde Nast's Epicurious site. I've saved the first (Gourmet) and third (Bon Appetit) recipes to try myself this summer. Here's the link to their Chimichurri search results: www.epicurious.com

FWIW

2011 Jul 6
OK, I've finally made my own chimichurri so I can give you a recipe that I know works.

It's the recipe in Seven Fires (www.amazon.ca), and it's awesome.

One thing that I think is unique to this recipe is the use of salmuera: essentially a saltwater solution that is used in place of regular salt. For reasons I can't quite fathom, it works better than any plain ol' sprinkling of salt can. And it's heaven on steak done the "Argentinian" way (i.e. anything from medium to well-done. This is not the way I usually roll, but chimichurri makes it work.)

Anyway, without further ado:

1 cup water
1 tablespoon coarse salt

1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh oregano leaves
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1. To make the salmuera, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the salt and stir until it dissolves. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

2. Mince the garlic very fine (Ed: I used my microplane grater) and put in a medium bowl. Mince the parsley and oregano and add to the garlic, along with the red pepper flakes. Whisk in the red wine vinegar and then the olive oil. Whisk in the salmuera (Ed: I found that the one cup of salmuera seasoned it perfectly, but made it looser than I'd like. Next time I may make a double-strength salmuera solution so that I can keep it a bit thicker.)

3. Transfer to a jar with a tight-fitting lid, and keep in the refrigerator. Chimichurri is best prepared at least 1 day in advance, so that the flavors have a chance to blend. The chimichurri can be kept refrigerated for up to 2 to 3 weeks.

2011 Jul 7
I was very happy to see this post. We ended up with quite a few very thick sirloin steaks left over (we froze them uncooked) and I was going to make a chimichurri sauce to serve with them.
I found some of the sirloin chewy so I would like to cook rare to medium and thinly slice, but you say the Argentinian way is to cook well done? Is the cut of meat a marbled one?
Any tips on cooking thick steaks? Lid down or up? I found it hard to have the centre cooked.

2011 Jul 7
I have used this one with churrasco(sliced beef tenderloin)
THREE-HERB CHIMICHURRI
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine parsley,mint,cilantroand garlic in food processor and finely chop. Add salt,black pepper and hot pepper flakes and process to blend. Add oil vinegar and water continue processing to make a thick sauce. Taste add more salt or vinegar as necessary it should be highly seasoned.

2011 Jul 7
Nice thanks for this, I am going to try the saltwater approach...

2011 Jul 7
Oops! Add a teaspoon of coarse salt to my above post. That was the hypertension friendly recipe:)

2011 Jul 7
I like to put a bit of cumin, and as far as the leafy stuff, I use oregano, parsley and cilantro. I use sherry vinegar and lemon, and I found I always needed a bit more salt than any recipe suggested (perhaps momomoto's salmuera works best to maximize the salt's potency).

Solstice, I wouldn't use sirloins which are already plenty flavourful and tender. I would go with tougher, less flavourful cuts like flank, hanger, or skirt.

Definitely at least an overnight marinade. Rest to room temp before grilling to rare or medium-rare, at high heat.

2011 Jul 7
Steak is one of those things that I've read about quite a lot since I got my BBQ ;)

I got the quote about Argentinian beef preferences from the book Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef (www.amazon.ca):

The tira de asado arrived Maillard-brown and crossed with black. The meat was gray through and through, which was not surprising. As much as Argentines revere steak, they buck the near-worldwide conviction among steak-loving peoples that steak should be served pink or red in the centre. Argentines prefer their steak well done. (I didn't believe it the first time I heard it, either.) While there is a loyal contingent that prefers it jugoso (juicy), they are in the minority.