Matzo in Ottawa [General]

2010 Mar 24
I just moved to Ottawa from Montreal, and passover is next week. I've heard the Loblaws in College square has a big Kosher aisle, but I'm downtown and I was hoping someplace closer might be selling matzo and matzo meal.

I remember over Hannukah, I looked in the Glebe for a Menorah, and that was a fail, so I am skeptical about Ottawa's Jewish provisions.

Can anyone enlighten me?

2010 Mar 24
I saw matzo meal at Hartman's (Somerset/Bank) a few weeks ago. Not sure the extent of their other products...and in an off-topic-spirit-of-the-season aside:

www.thestar.com

Don't worry, you can get carp in Chinatown, I've seen monsters in the market just around the corner from me...haha. I am a gefilte fish-loving Christian, my Jewish friends don't understand what is wrong with me!

2010 Mar 24
Ottawa Bagel Shop has a lot of Jewish stuff - might check there.

2010 Mar 24
I know Hartman's has some but I think your best bet would be College Square. If you take the transitway to Baseline you can get there pretty quickly. I can't think of anywhere else that even comes close to rivaling their Jewish provisions.

You could also maybe try Nate's Deli on Rideau (Rideau and King Edward-ish.. across from the Bytowne). If they don't have any, they would probably be able to direct you to somewhere downtown that does.

2010 Mar 24
Hartman's does have several types/a good selection of matzo - there's a display near(ish) the customer service desk...and Loblaws on Rideau also has it. Good luck.

2010 Mar 24
Rideau bakery usually carry Matzo as well, but go this week as they close on Friday for the Passover holidays.

2010 Mar 25
Thanks for all the tips! I ended up finding a package at the Loeb in the Glebe (hidden in the flour section) and I'll make the trip to Hartman's to get more.

2010 Mar 25
You could also call the Herb and Spice to see if they have any. I seem to recall that the one on Wellington used to sell matzo and menorah candles. The one on Bank Street may also.

2010 May 9
Just learned that many Loblaw's in Ottawa no longer carries matzo or related (Jewish) products! Just a warning. One manager told us the only one he knew of was at Baseline & Woodroffe which is quite a hike for us. :(

2010 May 9
Oy vey!

2010 May 9
the loblaws at merivale & maitland, had lots of matzo on sale. i saw there it on thursday.

2010 May 9
Yeah, plenty of Matzo at College Square. But what's up with the price of Gefilte Fish? I used to pay around $6 or $7 for a jar a few years ago and now they all seem to be $10!

Any recommendations for specific brands? I like the savoury (not-sweet) style. I'd love to try the new-age kind made with salmon, if that's available anywhere in town.

2010 May 11
The Metro at Greenbank has a small " kosher" section as well as frozen foods. Cater to the Jewish population in CraigHenry and Arlington Woods who dont want to travel to College Square for a few items.