High Fructose Corn Sugar [General]

2010 Mar 23
Interesting new study out

www.thekitchn.com

Bottom line - it has now been proven to make you a lot fatter than regular sugar

2010 Mar 23
i can believe that...its in everything processed..."LOW SUGAR" (BUT HAS FRUCTOSE, GLUCOSE, EVERYTHINGTOSE!)

2010 Mar 23
Honestly, given the choice I tend to pick foods that list "sugar" as an ingredient before ones that don't. A few exceptions are Pepsi/Coke, etc, but I'm not a big pop drinker and tend even then to pick ones sweetened with "sugar" or "cane sugar" -- stuff like the Santa Cruz spritzers or Knudsen sodas (they just don't have a good cola substitute ;)).

I would much rather my kids eat actual sugar than the more processed sweeteners, and I include the artificial sweeteners in that.

2010 Mar 24
I try to avoid HFCS as much as possible. There are the health benefits (assuming HFCS is not good), plus, it just tastes bad.

I actually import tonic water from the UK because it is made with real sugar. And that is the only pop that I drink.

2010 Mar 25
Apparently the evidence on HFCS to some people is still out.

arstechnica.com

This being said, I'm still suspect about it's health effects and notice the difference in taste and texture of soft drinks made with HFCS vs. Cane sugar. HFCS leaves a tart residue on my teeth that I can feel, whereas sugar does not and is smoother to drink.

Time to stock up on kosher coke. Also Blue sky makes a great cola. I also like Santa Cruz organic brand soda, their root beer is the best I ever had (it's clear as water) and their cherry's really good too. You can get em in bulk at Market Organics or also at Loblaws health food section.

As drinking anything with sugar (no matter which kind it is) is still bad for you, I routinely just drink lime/lemon flavored carbonated mineral water (Perrier) or filtered tap water with a wedge of squeezed lemon or lime in it, makes the bland water nice and helps with the scurvy!

2010 Mar 25
My first rule of surfing the web : never trust a site called "arse" :-)

2010 Mar 25
Um. It's ARS. en.wikipedia.org

2010 Mar 25
You say toMAYto, I say toMAHto :-)

2010 Mar 26
I try to avoid it. Aspartame is not good either, but I think it's less bad than HFCS. So I drink diet pop.

2010 Mar 26
erm. I also say to-mah-to-. :)
Point taken.

2010 Mar 26
So does this all mean that the corn promoters have been lying to me? All those commercials about HFCS were bunk? (note sarcasm) "Can you imagine that? You're a jumbo shrimp and one day and some corn goes floating by."

2010 Mar 27
Slightly off topic (but only a little), have any of you had any luck with yellow syrup as an alternative to corn syrup in recipes (i.e. glazes and icing)?

While the verdict might still be out, the stuff scares me. I may be doomed anyway ... it was our breakfast of choice growing up ... toast dipped in corn syrup, washed down with a glass of Nestle's Quick. Yikes. As they say, we've come a long way, baby.

2010 Mar 27
When you say yellow syrup, do you mean Golden Syrup? I haven't replaced corn syrup with it, but have used it in baking, quite nicely.

As for whether or not we've come a long way, I would qualify your statement with the phrase, "the well-educated classes" have come a long(ish) way.

2010 Mar 27
Rogers Golden Syrup is yummy--my grandfather had a maple sugar bush but we still drizzled this stuff over ice cream as a childhood favourite (no more glucose-fructose now!)

2010 Mar 29
If you are referring to Lyle's Golden Syrup, I've replaced it in buttercream icings where it called for corn syrup. The results and flavour were fine and superior. I did a simple vanilla buttercream with the golden syrup and would definitely do it again, the flavour was divine. The replacement was 1:1, however if using maple syrup, it contains more liquid and the recipe would have to be adjusted accordingly.