local custom smoke pucks / chips [Cooking]

2010 Mar 23
Any demand out there for custom smoking pucks and chips? Canadian Tire sells its chips for $4 for a 2 lb bag. Would anyone here be interested in a similarly priced product made from local woods like cherry, oak, sugar maple, apple, pear and others?

I'll be doing a video this weekend on how I do this myself, and have put the bug in the ear of my farmer's son who sounds interested in producing bags of smoking chips and pucks. I think we're going to do up a big batch next time I am out there just to see how they sell.

2010 Mar 23
I'd be interested in pucks and chunks (rather than chips). Would the wood be dried?

2010 Mar 23
We're still trying to figure out what people want but basically if you want dried it could be :-)

2010 Mar 24
how is he doing the chipping? My understanding is that you have to be a bit careful on what kind of chipper you are using. You don't want to get oil/lubricant into the chips if you are using them for smoking. Probably not a big deal when you are using logs since the surface area of the cut is so much smaller than with chips.

If you've got a good way to do this, I'd be interested in pucks - but not for a while, as I've got a pretty good stock - probably will get me through the summer.

2010 Mar 24
Electric chain saw that has only ever had vegetable oil used in it for chain oil.

2010 Mar 24
BTW, I'm not talking about "pucks" that will fit into the Bradley. At least not initially though that is planned for phase 2.

It will be puck-shaped pieces of wood for general smoking. Puck-shaped because it will be small logs cut into pucks. I'll be doing a video on it all this weekend - it is how I do my smoking - I don't use charcoal just all wood and shavings from the same wood. My buddy with a big green egg said he'd be interested in the chunks as well for his egg, so I guess he does something similar there.

Initially I think he'll be selling either chips or chunks, which ever you want. And the plan is to go from there to see if there is an easy way to make real wood pucks that are the same size as the bradley ones.

2010 Mar 24
Hey Zym - sounds interesting - keep us posted on cost/quantity etc.

2010 Apr 2

Here is more-or-less how they are made, though today I got some ideas for a more efficient / safer way to do it :-)