Butterscotch pudding [Cooking]

2010 Mar 22
Hello everyone. A couple of days ago I tasted the butterscotch pudding as the dessert at the Wellington gastropub and I must say I was really impressed. It was my first time eating that dessert and I decided to try to make it myself at home. I looked through most recipes on the internet and finally did it. The recipe I took was quite traditional as far as I'm concerned - milk-brown sugar-butter-yolks-cornstarch-scotch... The result was ok, but it had nothing to do with the Wellington's perfomance. Mine was a bit heavy, classic custard/pudding consistency, a bit jelly to say so. The one at the restaurant was creamy and light, consistency of the whipped cream but probably thicker. And it wasn't so sweet! It had that taste of butter/caramel/scotch... not the sweetness itself. Mine got too sweet (200 g br sugar @ ~600 ml milk & 3 yolks), which doesn't taste that natural... Are there any experts on the matter?? I'm dreaming of that dessert made by myself :)

2010 Mar 23
Hey Moscovite, I had the butterscotch pudding last week at the Gastropub as well and I agree, it was fantastic!! I had made it before and it turned out really good (it was just the basic ingredients like you listed) but I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the Gastropub's. I was wondering if maybe I didn't add enough whipped cream, as I thought theirs was really creamy and thicker than my recipe. And I liked that it wasn't crazy sweet either. I also loved the caramelized banana they added on top, mmnnn it was tasty!

Maybe try it again with less sugar, & more whipped cream? I'd be curious to hear what butterscotch pudding experts have to offer for advice as well :)

2010 Mar 24
Basic pudding formula by weight from my school recipe file.
Sorry I don't have butter scotch.
whole milk 100%, sugar 20%, Whole egg 20%, cornstarch 7.5%, salt 0.1%, Vanilla 0.5%, butter 5%

Your recipe
600ml of milk is 100%
whole milk's specific gravity is 1.031, so 600ml of milk is 618g
B.Sugar 200g is 32% of milk weight, may be decrease to 20%, which is 123g
3 yolks are about 60g, 0.97% of milk weight, may be increase to 20%, which is 6 yolks.

Adjust consistency of pudding by increasing or decreasing amount of cornstarch.
Pudding made with 7% cornstarch (43g for your recipe )will be soft, 12% (74g)is firm.

You cannot freeze pudding made with cornstarch, however, if you mix pudding with whipped cream, you can freeze it.

2010 Mar 31
hello! i make the desserts at the wellington gastropub. i'm sorry for the delay but here is the recipe for the butterscotch pudding, it is from Ripe for dessert by David Lebovitz.

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract

1- melt the butter in a medium sized sauce pan, mix in the brown sugar and cook until the mixture bubbles, remove from heat and stir in heavy cream, 1 Tbsp at a time, add milk and salt

2-in a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and eggs until the cornstarch is dissolved, whisk the egg mixture into the butterscotch mixture

3-cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk until the pudding comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 2 minutes.

4- pour pudding into another container and stir in the vanilla, refrigerate until cool

2010 Apr 1
When I first saw the request, I was going to post a link to David Lebovitz's recipe...but resisted because I've recommended his site enough times now that I thought it might start seeming suspicious. :)

But he's really good...and this pudding is another winner.
The recipe is the same as above but with added whiskey. I subbed rum and, oh yes indeed, it worked.

www.davidlebovitz.com

2010 Apr 6
Hi Adriana, thanks for answering this and posting your recipe. I had the butterscotch pudding there again recently, it's one of my faves there. I also had the peanut butter/chocolate pudding on the weekend and it was excellent. I thought it was neat to have the two layers instead of mixed into one.

Not too surprised this is one of David Lobovitz's recipes, I love a lot of his stuff that I've tried. Can't wait to make this!