Bradley smoker sale [General]

2010 Mar 19
This seems to be a very popular unit, and is on sale this week at Canadian Tire. $100 off!

2010 Mar 19
if you were waiting, it's time to pull the trigger

this deal happens periodically throughout the year

www.canadiantire.ca

2010 Mar 19
Which version is that?

2010 Mar 19
zym it's the 'Original' Bradley Smoker

buy it and get yourself a PID!

www.bradleysmoker.com

2010 Mar 19
That is the regular - non-digital one. "original Bradley smoker".
Good deal!

2010 Mar 19
I've already got a PID and SSR - but am hankering to make my own smoker.

About a week ago I remember this huge old Canada Post mailbox in my father's basement that I hauled out of the landfill site when I worked there as a university student. Of course that is in Nova Scotia, but it would be ideal! I've tried kijiji but cannot find one here.

It is about 5 feet tall on legs and maybe 2 feet by 2 feet square, made out of really heavy steel. It has one big door on the front. Would have been used as a drop-off box where mail bags would be put for the mail man to pick up at the start of his route.

Anyone ever see anything like that around here? Maybe I'll check Cowen and Cowen.

It would make a pretty sweet smoker with very little work!

2010 Mar 19
Anyone ever considered building one of those?

2010 Mar 21
Do Digital Bradley smokers ever come on sale at Canadian Tire? If yes for how much? Any other sources to look into would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2010 Mar 21
i don't see the digital model on sale at CT too often, but they're a pretty good deal at Le Baron ($363.94 for the digital)

www.lebaron.ca

2010 Mar 31
Does anyone know who else sells the 4 rack Digital Bradley other than Cdn Tire? I hate Lebarons.. their service sucks and if you ever have problems with an item, it is a pain in the butt to return it. The $363 is a good price, but I'd rather give my money to a nicer outfit....

2010 Jun 11
FYI

Original Bradley Smoker on sale at CT again for $289.99

www.canadiantire.ca

2010 Jun 20
My wife and kids surprised me this morning with a Bradley.

I was not exactly impressed with the construction (I had to disassemble the smoke box and correct the sleeve that the feed tube slides into, to straighten it). I also was incredibly disappointed with the "recipe" book.

Anwyay, the Bradley overcame the out-of-the-box let down and delivered some awesome ABTs.

I'll be hitting Costco tomorrow for some sort of animal carved up and sold in large quantities.

Can anyone recommend a good site for the Bradley newbie? I'm thinking pork ribs (especially since I only have 3-4 hours of sunlight afterwork).

2010 Jun 21
forum.bradleysmoker.com

or just google bradely and ribs.

Have fun - its a great box.

2010 Jun 21
hungry hungry hippo - i too had some troubles right out of the box. i had to disassemble the smoke generate and plug in a wire that came loose during transportation. the folks at Bradley HQ were pretty helpful. the owner of the company posts on the Bradley Forums and often reaches out to customers to solve any issues/problems. i wish they made cars ;)

the Bradley Forums sourdough posted are an excellent resource. everyone is incredibly helpful and the forums are a wealth of information and discussion.

the website www.susanminor.org/ is related and houses a huge recipe database. i would specifically recommend Kummok's salmon recipe here: www.susanminor.org

enjoy...

2010 Jun 25
So, I made my first attempt at ribs last night. After finding 3 prevailing smoker methods online, I basically decided to go with Monty's 2-1-1 recommendation... so I had someone to blame it on :)

Short story, the ribs were too dry for my taste, but I think I overcooked them. It was really windy so I had a hard time holding 200F (much less 225F) and haven't yet found a place to buy an ET-73, so I winged it and did more of a 2-1.5-1.5. And because I was also rushing to finish my yeardwork before nightfall, I didn't even check the final temperature. I also FTC'd for 2 hours. Excuses, excuses....

Aside from being dry, the smoke ring was nice, probably 1/4" (these were very meaty back ribs). I used cherry and hickory 50-50.

I also need to find a satisfactory rub as mine was too sweet (St. Louis Style). I really want to try out more of a savoury Memphis dry... but I think I need to master this technique first.

I am working my way up to a big-smoke project like a shoulder. Here is what I figure my progression is going to be:

1) cold-smoke some cheeses tonight
2) more ABTs and some smoked corn (specific party)
3) chicken of some sort, I'd like to keep them whole
4) pastrami, not because I need that much lunch meat, just because it looks so damned good.
5) ribs part deux
6) bring on the pork bad-boy

2010 Jun 25
hey HHH I've found the the pork shoulder was the easiest to get right on the smoker so far - so bump it up on your list! Ribs I still have not got down to my satisfaction yet. I think bigger cuts of meat are more forgiving.

2010 Jun 25
Agreed. Bigger, fattier and bone-in are very forgiving.

2010 Jul 4
The weather was perfect for smoking this weekend. I ended up with a rather small boneless pork butt (5.75lb) from the Stittsville Meat Market. I used my standard rub (brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, pepper, coarse salt, celery salt, cumin, dry mustard, and minced garlic) over a yellow mustard base and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

The cook cycle was; 90 mins on the counter, 4 hours smoke (special blend + hickory), 4 hours w/o smoke, 1.5 hours FTC. I was quite surprised I hit 190F IT in just short of 8 hours. My cabinet temperature was around 225F (high).

It turned out awesome with a great bark, good smoke flavour, and just moist enough inside. I served with a North Carolina Vinegar Sauce. I don't own any measuring implements but it was something like:

1 cu each apple cider vinegar, white vinegar, tap water
1/2 cu ketchup
generous splash of sriracha
1 tbsp cane sugar
1 tbsp chili flakes
dash of coarse salt

Rolling simmer for 30 mins.

Take a big mitt-full of shredded pork, dip it in the sauce, put on fresh buns, topped with my homemade jalepeno-white pepper slaw. It was awesome!

Anyway, my question to the pros is... why was I done in 2/3 time? Is it because the butt was small? Temperature too high? I don't have my ET73 yet so I am relying on the bradley stem thermometer. The reason I ask is I'd like to figure out how to plan it for a larger butt and a hungry party.

2010 Jul 4
Partially pulled

2010 Jul 4
And here are the ABTs I served while we were waiting on the FTC to finish.

2010 Jul 4
hungry hungry hippo - looks fantastic! good to see all the Bradley owners on here enjoying their toys.

9 hours sounds about right for 5.75lbs. i "budget" ~1.5hrs/per pound for butts. 225F is the sweet spot. the Bradley thermometer is fairly accurate and can be relied upon for most bbq, based on my experience.

please post your jalapeno slaw recipe!

2010 Jul 4
I don't really keep recipes, or measure for that matter... but my creamy slaw base is something like:

1/2 - 2/3 cu mayonnaise
3-4 tbsp of white vinegar
2 tbsp of white sugar
1 tsp white pepper
dash of celery salt

I use shredded green and red cabbage and carrot. Then I grate my onion (spanish in this case) so it is pulpy and moist. I pureed the jalapeno ribs (no seeds) from the ABTs with a splash of lemon juice then mixed it all together. I'd guess it was 4-5 cu of shredded veggies.

It has been a long time since the Works made my "list", so my memory may be fuzzy, but it is very similar to their's with a little longer burn due to the jalapeno ribs.

Sometimes I work in a little horseradish, sometimes dijon mustard, sometimes both. But the dijon makes it "dirty"... if you go there, you might as well use black pepper and cider vinegar.