Garam Masala [Food/Vendor]

2007 Mar 18

Can anyone recommend a place to purchase authentic garam masala?

2007 Mar 18
If you really want authentic, you could make your own: www.gourmetfoodsource.net

I understand this is what most Indian households do. It's a fundamental ingredient in their cuisine and each cook uses a slightly different recipe according to personal preference.

Garam Masala supposedly means "hot spice" but it isn't spicy. I'm pretty sure the "hot" part refers to its use in ancient Ayurvedic medicine, which describes certain spices as having heating or cooling properties.

2007 Mar 18
I asked an indian coworker once a few years ago and he said it meant simply "spice mixture" and that exactly what mixture it was really varied, though there were common themes. That link looks like a really good resource for it.

2007 Mar 18

Thanks for the info. I've got most of the ingredients from the recipe on the link, so I guess I'll whip up my own mixture. Cheers.

2007 Mar 19
If you want a premade - ground - spice, go to a place called the Samosa Hut/Convenience Store on Richmond Rd. in Westboro near the Loeb. They also sell whole spice mix of garam masala in the right proportions of each ingredient, prepacked, to get the right flavour. This store is also just generally amazing for all Indian spices. Also, NASA food center in Chinatown is good, located at Somerset and Lebreton... or Booth? I forget.