Need Help: Spicy Chinese Noodles? [General]

2010 Mar 13
i have a package of fresh (now frozen) shanghai noodles from the 168 market. i want spicy noodles, but don't have a recipe. i have had a long day with toddler and need some quick ideas. i'm craving heat and noodles. does anyone have any ideas? my fall back will be to just make a quick sauce of garlic and ginger to toss with the cooked noodles and add on Sriracha hot chili sauce. i'd like something a little nicer than that. i won't add meat, but i am open to any tofu or veggie additions.

thanks.

2010 Mar 14
The Shanghainese are well known for their aversion to spicy heat, but go ahead and bastardize the hell out of those noodles with some hot chili oil. Sriracha is good too, but even better if you pour some hot oil over it to release the chili aromas. You can also try spicy cold noodles tossed in a dressing made with all natural peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili oil and sesame oil.

2010 Mar 15
it isn't bastadizing, it's fusion cooking ;)

thanks for the ideas and good call on the hot chili oil. i'll do that next time. i like the shanghai noodles because they are thick and very, very long - making them fun to eat.