Whole Wheat Pastry Flour [Cooking]

2010 Mar 6
Just wondering if anyone knows where to find whole wheat pastry flour or if there is an easy alternative?

I am using it to make brownies. I have heard you can use whole wheat flour or a combo of ww and white, but the issue with just plain whole wheat flour vs pastry is that there will be higher gluten deposit.

Any suggestions?

Also here is the recipe in case that helps too.

* 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
* 2/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup sugar
* 2/3 cup sweet-potato puree
* 1 large egg
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square pan; set aside. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cocoa. Let cool slightly.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Stir in sugar and sweet-potato puree, then egg. In a small bowl, stir together vanilla and coffee until coffee is dissolved; add to cocoa mixture.
4. Add flour mixture to cocoa mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake until surface of brownies looks barely dry and an inserted knife comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature before serving.

2010 Mar 6
www.ochef.com/821.htm

I would suspect that Market Organics might stock it, or perhaps a baking specialty store. As an alternative, you would want to mix white cake flour and whole wheat all-purpose flour to a ratio of around 1.5:1

2010 Mar 6
We get it directly from Mountain Path - it is their name brand.

So maybe one of the retail places that carries their stuff.

2010 Mar 6
That's an interesting-looking recipe, NoCheese, one I might try with some squash. I would likely sub regular whole wheat flour for the pastry version - I wouldn't be concerned about the little extra gluten; however, you may be. I think Bulk Barn has ww pastry flour - call 'em to be sure. You could also sub spelt flour for the wwp flour - it has a little less gluten than regular flour. Mind you, the difference in amount of gluten in only 1/2 cup of ww or wwp flour isn't much.

2010 Mar 7
The Herb & Spice on Wellington carries the Mountain Path whole wheat pastry flour. It's really good. :)

2010 Mar 8
Rainbow Foods used to carry it, but I would suggest calling ahead because I haven't shopped there regularly in years.