Maple Sapping [General]

2010 Mar 5
I had the boys out to Saffire Farms today to do some maple sapping with my buddy farmer Gord - what a great time was had by all! So much so that the boys got home and were sound asleep within minutes they were so worn out! In was incredible how much we packed into the 3 hours we were there after school. More farm videos to follow.

This is the first time I've been sapping and I could not believe how much came dripping out right away. This is the only photo I tried to take and it was perfect because it was dripping so fast.

More pics and a video to come.

2010 Mar 5
Gord and my boys tapping a tree - I'm guessing this is going to be sideways even though my computer has it upright and Linux does not seem to give me an option to rotate it.

2010 Mar 5
Check this out--I really try not to combine business and ottawa foodies, but i think there are folks/families here who would be interested...it is a great outing...Families in Nature Sunday afternoon outings are back!
March 7: Signs of spring-with Martha Webber. Chickadees calling "spring's here." Tap a maple tree, taste the sweet sap.Watch for herons returning -- they nest early on Carp Ridge. Beaver break the ice to come out from their lodges and in search of food (Lots of beaver ponds on the Ridge). Watch the eastern sky for the bright star Arcturus, the first real promise of spring. First Sunday of the month at the Learning Centre,1:30 pm, $10 per family of four ($2 each additional person). Read more on the Families in Nature page @ www.ecowellness.com (learning centre). Hope people will find this interesting and fun for families. Directions/details available on website.

2010 Mar 5
Here is my first video

2010 Mar 5
My 2nd video with just me this time :-)

2010 Mar 6
I can highly recommend a super outing for the family in a very rustic and more down to earth outing without the commercial feel of Fulton's is Fortune Farms just west of Almonte on Wolfe Grove Road. A really nice drive on Wolfe Grove and a family run farm. There, you will experience entertaining tour, learning about sap making at different periods of time and the methods used. We go every year with our grandchildren, entertained by "the Kettle boys" and their special brand of humor. Check it out!

www.fortunefarms.ca/

2010 Mar 6
I passed Wolfe Grove Road on the way to Saffire yesterday, so they are quite nearby.

2010 Mar 6
I'll second Fortune Farms. We go every year with our kids and have a lot of fun. We've also been to Wheeler's - very good but the drive up that hill when it is muddy is not so fun. Wheelersmaple.com

We also go to another pancake house just for the food and since it is not very far from Fortune Farms combines for an almost full day outing. When I remember the name I'll post. The wood for the building was all from downed trees during the ice storm.

2010 Mar 10
I've finally remembered. It is Temple's in Ferguson Falls.

2010 Mar 21
We went back to Saffire Farms yesterday and spent the whole day collecting sap, boiling syrup, clearing brush, and making maple candy and taffee. Unfortunately I was out clearing brush while the kids were inside making taffee, so I missed that part on video.

But my video of sap collecting and boiling and what not is uploading right now so I'll post it when ready.

2010 Mar 21
Here you go, the last in the series

p.s. I spent all day yesterday making maple syrup and now I feel just d'erable :-)