PI days [General]

2010 Mar 3
In advance of this year's Pi Days*, is anyone planning on baking anything? Are any fresh fruits available - if not from farmers, than something better than frozen or canned selections?

*People have been doing Pi Day as March 14, but I declared that one day of pie is simply not enough, especially when pi clearly shows it's 3.14159 - i.e. March 14, 15, and 9 hours of 16. What, is anyone going to complain? :) Some of my pies, like my cranberry pie, needs 24 hours to congeal properly, so one day of pie-making and one day of pie-eating seems mighty fine to me!

2010 Mar 3
I love me some pi!

I haven't decided which I will be making just yet.

2010 Mar 3
Dad love pie and his birthday is March 14th. Needless to say we've been celebrating Pi day all my life.

A reminder that there are also non fruit options or fresh fruit not too badly affected by the seasons that are usually a hit. Some faves include: Shoo-Fly Pie -- Peanut Pie -- Pecan Pie -- Pumpkin Pie -- Sweet Potato Pie -- Maple Syrup Pie -- Lemon Meringue Pie -- Lemon Shaker Pie -- Key Lime Pie .... OK, this is making me hungry. *Just remember some really should rest before eating and others really have to or they ooze out.

2015 is going to be one heck of a Pi day!

2010 Mar 3
Mmmmm, pie! Good idea. I have some rhubarb and blueberries frozen from last year's harvest. I think I'll start with one today and make another in a couple of weeks. :)

2010 Mar 3
Yes, I'll definitely be making a pie. Probably either coconut cream or sugar pie. I have some maple sugar to use before I buy some of this year's. Or maybe lemon:)

2010 Mar 3
Never heard of this--I can make a quite decent pie for those who love them, but pie is not my favourite! (sorry to pie lovers...) Do love your post Niall...is Pi day some sort of astrology?!

2010 Mar 4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi

Pi as a value is the ratio of any circle's circumference to its diameter. It's an irrational number (can't be expressed as a fraction), but starts with 3.14159... Math and food geeks have adopted 3.14(159...) as Pi Day, celebrated on March 14 (3.14) for the purposes of pie making, pie eating, and pi celebrating.

Basically, they've re-appropriated math for the greater good. I approve!

(See also: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day)

2010 Mar 4
It looks like I will miss out on Pi day this year since I have not yet learned how to make a pie. I must make note to participate next year.

In the meantime I have ample time to prepare for Square Root Day on April 4th, 2016. I will have to come up with a square meal with root vegetables on the side.

2010 Mar 4
I feel a pie video coming on!

2010 Mar 4
Considering I'm a Québécois, I really should try to learn how to make sugar pie. (And sucre à la crème.)

I normally use the Robin Hood pie crust mix, which has never let me down, but a friend insisted I should learn from scratch - and her recipe includes butter and margarine. A little unusual, from what I could tell... My first attempt did not meet with success, but I figure it's because I had not realised the margarine I had on hand was infused with olive oil, and that ... altered the taste and likely the dough.

I think I'm out of frozen cranberries. Which is good, as they were getting years old. (And the pie is still delish.) Cranberries are easy to find, at least, unlike bloody rhubarb...

Square Root Day? I like the idea... and I have a square cooking dish...

2010 Mar 4
I think square root day should involve scalloped potatoes, in a square dish.

As for pies, it's a Sunday and we spend our Sundays with friends playing games. I suspect that this will result in some sort of friendly pie, perhaps lemon meringue.

2010 Mar 4
I am also considering celebrating Mole Day on October 23rd. I am debating whether I want to make an aluminum foil sculpture in the shape of a mole or making a molé sauce.-;)

2010 Mar 4
Mole Day starts at 6:02, I suspect?

2010 Mar 4
I didn't know about Pi day, but since I love making pie, I will have to whip up a couple soon just for the occasion! My favourite one to make is apple cranberry, though I do prefer berry pies closer to spring/summer so I may make a blueberry one since I have some frozen berries from last summer. yum!
Looking forward to summer for fresh berry season again.

Square root day? That's hilarious. A square pizza with root veggies perhaps??

2010 Mar 4
Niall, here's my mom's recipe for Tarte au sucre...

4 cups brown sugar
3 tbps flour
10 tbps unsalted butter
2 eggs beaten
2 cup Carnation evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
4 pie crust

Preheat oven at 350F.

Mix brown sugar and flour. Add milk, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix well

Put mixture into uncooked pie crust, Cook for 30 to 35 minutes.

2010 Mar 5
Pi r square and cake are round. Works for me!

2010 Mar 5
I will make lemon meringue pie on 14, and pecan pie on 15!

2010 Mar 7
will be making apple pie for sure on the 14 th, and blueberry on the 15 th from a bag of blueberries I froze in the summer. Will have to invite some friends over to finnish all the pie.

2010 Mar 14
Happy Pi day math nerds!
gizmodo.com

2010 Mar 14
Sugar pie! Seemed a fitting follow-up to a trip to the sugarbush this morning. Mine uses only maple sugar, flour and cream. Fantastic!